Peugeot 306 - overheating problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Piblet,
Did you established if the rad fan was coming on when the temp gauge reaches approx 90 degrees?
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
piblet

Post by piblet »

indeed I did - the fans are working just fine!
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Ok, I just thought that maybe the fan wasn't running on slow speed & maybe that could be the problem.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
xhtml

Post by xhtml »

Just FTR, my problem appears to have been solved.
I bit the bullet and took the car to the local main Peugeot dealer who identified that the ECU had logged a temperature fault.

They physically experimented with the thermal sensor and identified that it was reporting 30 deg lower than the actual temperature. So they replaced it.

The mechanic stated that the occasional electrical loading (shown by the flickering lights) could have been caused by the heating coils coming on (since the ECU thought the engine was considerably cooler than it actually was), which loaded the alternator.

I'm still not fully sure why the radiator remained cold, unless the ECU doesn't enable the water pump until the water in the head is hot enough.

Anyway, that's the second £20 sensor in 15 months to have failed (the first being the speedo sensor), so I guess they're the weakest links.

Funny how my own garage couldn't solve that one before relieving me of £300 without fixing the fault...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Does the radiator heat up now?
The water pump runs all the time. As far as I am aware the only thing that prevents the radiator heating up is a blockage, such as a collapsed hose. Airlocks in the system, which can be caused by the coolant boiling but that would usually mean that the radiator was not functioning in the first place and the most likely culprit would be a faulty thermostat, which is not controlled by the ECU.
xhtml

Post by xhtml »

Yes the radiator heats up now, even after a 20 min break in the journey. Previously, that was arbitrary.
omelette

Post by omelette »

After rear-ending someone with my 306 I needed to replace the fan assembly etc. I also bought a new temperature sensor and was surprised to find that there was a huge difference in the switch-on time for the fan, triggering when the engine was much colder - ended up keeping the original. Both looked identical as well...