Wiper Blades Fuse

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AdamJ

Wiper Blades Fuse

Post by AdamJ »

Hi,

Hi Folks,

The wiper blades on my 406 [95 N reg, 1.9 dt lx] stopped working whilst travelling yesterday, nor could I get any windscreen wash water.

I changed the fuse [no. 24 in the fuse box] and it worked once and then I heard a crackle from the fuse box and it stopped again.

I thought it might be a faulty fuse and replaced the fuse again for the same thing to happen again, i.e. one wipe and then a crackle.

Any ideas/suggestions/solutions?

Many thanks.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Sounds like you've got a "live" going to ground (short circuit within the wiper circuit), as when this happens the fuse will blow (this is what it's designed to do to prevent further damage or even a fire).
Could be within the motor or the wiring for the wiper circuit.
See if you can see any wiring for the wiper motor and follow it to see if the sheath on the wire has worn through where it might rub against the cars body.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
AdamJ

Post by AdamJ »

I disconnected the motor and then installed a new fuse. The washers keep working, and the fuse stays ok.

The wipers also keep working if the ignition is turned.

I disconnected a cable in the rear middle part of the bonnet somewhere beneath the wiper blades.

I presume it is indeed the wiper motor I disconnected, and the motor controls the movement of the baldes, which otherwise function continuously without hinderance? Is this so?

Does this confirm that the short is from within the motor or the wiring/circuit?