peugeot 2.1 td 8v IDI build

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

305 van man
My Cars:

peugeot 2.1 td 8v IDI build

Post by 305 van man »

Have recently been building a 2.1td engine for my 305 van. Used 2.1 xud bottom end and 1.9xud9 cylinder head with 2.1 gasket. Had some machining done on the head today and in for surface reface/skim tommorow hopefully. Planning to fit 2.1td bosch pump and injectors with garret turbo and 306 hdi box with cable clutch.
Just wondered if anybody else on here knows of are has done this or similar conversion?
will get some pics up soon
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and welcome :D

That's an interesting project. Now why did you not retain the 2.1TD 12V head? I believe it's superior to the old 8V 1.9TD head but again I've also heard the opposite. Are you going for the 1.9TD head because the 2.1TD head would be too wide to fit the 305 engine bay?

The Bosch pump will fit no problem at all and is certainly easier that getting the 2.1TD Lucas EPIC working in the 305 even though it is a far superior pump; an opinion not universally shared though :lol: :lol:

I'm following with great interest :D One of our members is looking to convert his Xantia Activa from 2.0L i Turbo to 2.1TD power so your experiences will be extremely valuable...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pugbus
My Cars:

Post by pugbus »

:) Hi Jim ,

Yes it was found that the 2.1 cyl head interferes with the brake servo + master cylinder , the head from the 2.1 engine thats going into the 305 has been fitted to another engine due to the last owner not using a very good antifreeze :)
305 van man
My Cars:

2.1 idi build

Post by 305 van man »

Head sent off for pressure test and reface so hopefully will have it back sometime this week :D
305 van man
My Cars:

An over due update

Post by 305 van man »

Hi all got the head back from engineers like brand new again, lapped valves in and re shimmed. Set to on swapping bits over from the 1.9 bottom end to the 2.1 and thats when i hit problems i hadnt realised until then that a 1.9 rear watr housing would bolt up to the 2.1 bottom end so after lots of measuring i decided to give up on the 2.1 bottom end until i find a suitable water housing possibly from a pug rather than xm? So for now i have just put the head back on 1.9 td bottom end with bosch pump and 175bar injectors. It went like stink before so hopefully should be the same, thinking about using a 306 hdi box this time tho for better cruising on motorway. as soon as one is sourced i can change full lump
con67
My Cars:

Post by con67 »

The hdi box is what I run, its a great job though it might kill it a little powerwise, the mpg is immense on a run.
305 van man
My Cars:

Hdi box

Post by 305 van man »

Whats it done to your acceleration in low gears 1st to 3rd? me being a near 30 year old boy turbo diesel racer lol(interested to know before i fit). We always found the 305 was that light compared to 306 that it acelerated like it wasnt pulling anything so hoping it would still pull well in early gears and calm revs down for motorway runs
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

HDi 'boxes go well on a 1.9TD :D

The 1.9TD and 2.1TD coolant circuits are very different. As you have found, the 2.1TD keeps its thermostat in the bottom hose effectively, in the waterpump housing.

I believe all 2.1TDs are the same irrespective of where they came from. If you use the 2.1TD block then you'll need to arrange the 1.9TD head to effectively have no thermostat and put the thermostat down where the 2.1TD has it.

The waterpumps are different and the timing belt length and tensioner arrangement is very different too..

Some interesting engineering challenges to overcome there...

I watch with interest...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
con67
My Cars:

Re: Hdi box

Post by con67 »

305 van man wrote:Whats it done to your acceleration in low gears 1st to 3rd? me being a near 30 year old boy turbo diesel racer lol(interested to know before i fit). We always found the 305 was that light compared to 306 that it acelerated like it wasnt pulling anything so hoping it would still pull well in early gears and calm revs down for motorway runs
Its hard for me to say, unfortunatly theres lots of other work done too, it definately carries more speed while *seems* to lose a bit of mid range acceleration. Changing at 5k sees nearly 30mph in first so off the mark is an improvement. 70mph is around 2500rpm which is the real bonus.