306 Diesel as a trackday car/sleeper???

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paulandshelliesC5
My Cars:

306 Diesel as a trackday car/sleeper???

Post by paulandshelliesC5 »

Hi all-got a theoretical question for you all..........how do you think a 1993 306 XRD would do as a trackday vehicle/sleeper? I would tune the engine but keep the exterior pretty much standard.....or should I just lock it away in the garage and work on keeping it completly standard??,bearing in mind this idea formed in the pub it may never even get off the ground!!.....ideas/insiration/criticisms all greatfully accepted!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's possible. Some have tuned an XUD to give silly power outputs (albeit for a while) so it can be done.

Have a look on the 205GTI Drivers forum. Long ago there was someone with a 1.9TD in a 205 that he'd tuned to the max and it was quite a performer...

I like sleepers.

Else that, transplant a 3.0 V6 into the 306. It can be done. Now that would be a sleeper :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
paulandshelliesC5
My Cars:

CitroJim wrote:It's possible. Some have tuned an XUD to give silly power outputs (albeit for a while) so it can be done.

Have a look on the 205GTI Drivers forum. Long ago there was someone with a 1.9TD in a 205 that he'd tuned to the max and it was quite a performer...

I like sleepers.

Else that, transplant a 3.0 V6 into the 306. It can be done. Now that would be a sleeper :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohhhh 3.0V6?? I like.......I like a lot!!!!! really like the idea of a bog-standard 306 XRD complete with steel wheels with a tuned or large engine under the bonnet!
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Your best bet for a track slag in the first instance is always weight reduction. Strip it out until it's a tin can with a steering wheel. Weight is the enemy, it ruins performance, handling and braking.

Then look at tyres, some R888's would be nice. Then brakes and suspension. Usually more power is last on the list!

I suspect you might have to address the problem of heat soak, particuarly if you upped the boost. Turbo diesels often don't do well on track after the first few laps. My 405 runs 18psi boost and about 110bhp. If I beat on it for a prolonged period I do notice a performance drop off. A front mount intercooler will probably be a must, but that should see you good for 130bhp. Of course, with a 3.0L V6 you wouldn't have problems with heat soak 8-)
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
paulandshelliesC5
My Cars:

evilally wrote:Your best bet for a track slag in the first instance is always weight reduction. Strip it out until it's a tin can with a steering wheel. Weight is the enemy, it ruins performance, handling and braking.

Then look at tyres, some R888's would be nice. Then brakes and suspension. Usually more power is last on the list!

I suspect you might have to address the problem of heat soak, particuarly if you upped the boost. Turbo diesels often don't do well on track after the first few laps. My 405 runs 18psi boost and about 110bhp. If I beat on it for a prolonged period I do notice a performance drop off. A front mount intercooler will probably be a must, but that should see you good for 130bhp. Of course, with a 3.0L V6 you wouldn't have problems with heat soak 8-)
Thanks for that evilally-the above has given me lots to think about-obviously a seasonsed trackday pro?
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Can't claim to be an expert, but I do like my trackdays 8-)

It's amazing how fast a low powered car can go stripped out with some decent tyres. If you don't lose the speed in the first place, you don't need a lot of power to make it up. Making your car a second a lap faster by increasing the power will cost a fortune, but you can do a lot of weight reduction for free. Possibly even profit by flogging the bits you don't need on ebay.

I missed one thing off the list, tuition! My Clio is my track bitch, but I've left it practically standard. I've spent any spare money on tuition and it's made all the difference, plus it makes you a better driver on the road. It's hilarious getting past something like an M3 because the bloke driving it will happily spend £30,000 on a car, but won't fork out £30 for a session with an instructor. The added benefit is that your skills are transferable between cars, so it's a lifetime investment :)
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
paulandshelliesC5
My Cars:

evilally wrote:Can't claim to be an expert, but I do like my trackdays 8-)

It's amazing how fast a low powered car can go stripped out with some decent tyres. If you don't lose the speed in the first place, you don't need a lot of power to make it up. Making your car a second a lap faster by increasing the power will cost a fortune, but you can do a lot of weight reduction for free. Possibly even profit by flogging the bits you don't need on ebay.

I missed one thing off the list, tuition! My Clio is my track bitch, but I've left it practically standard. I've spent any spare money on tuition and it's made all the difference, plus it makes you a better driver on the road. It's hilarious getting past something like an M3 because the bloke driving it will happily spend £30,000 on a car, but won't fork out £30 for a session with an instructor. The added benefit is that your skills are transferable between cars, so it's a lifetime investment :)
Once agin,you have made some really good points!! instructor session is definatly worth it for £30 and I wouldnt have even thought about!! so,thanks once again!!