Glow Plug Woes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dturbo

Glow Plug Woes

Post by dturbo »

The glow plugs on my Ph1 306 Dturbo last at best only a year. Now this isn't right as I've seen cars which run on glow plugs which were 10 years! old.

To start the car I have to use the glow plugs 3-4 times in succession waiting for the airbag light to go out as well (over 10 seconds in total). When the car is warm it starts on the first try after the glow plug light goes out (around 3 seconds). If I leave the plugs for too long without changing them the car won't eventually start no matter what.

I took out my ohn meter for the first time and measured 0.002-0.003 ohms when touching the glow plug and 0.005-0.007ohms when touching on the screw part of the glow plug.

Is this correct? All 4 glow plug values were exactly the same. Bare in mind I'm not mechanically minded.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What plugs did you fit? The TD is hard on plugs, and anything other than the OE fit Beru plugs tend not to last. DOes it start more easily if you pump the fuel primer first? If it doesn't then I'd stick a new set of plugs in it, and then take it from there. If it does then you need to start looking for an air leak. If new plugs doesn't improve it then get the valve clearances measured.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Fully agreed Richard... The only ones to use are BERU ones and make sure they're the right ones. GN909 for Turbos and GV636 for Non-Turbo. The wrong ones in the wrong engine don't work at all well and may last a matter of days.

You cannot test glowplugs with ohmmeter alone. That just shows some continuity and gives no indication that they are glowing properly...

The only way is to have them out, connect them carefully across a battery and watch the tip glow a bright orange/near yellow a few seconds after applying current. Only about the last 3/8" of the tip should glow and this should be even and bright.

If the plug takes a time to glow to cherry red or it glows all over or has "sunspots" (black areas in the glow) then they're scrap.

When testing glowplugs, do please bear in mind they get very hot so handle them carefully, holding them in a large pair of pliers; take care where you plut them down after a test. They stay hot for a while and can set fire to things if carelessly placed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Fully agreed Richard... The only ones to use are BERU ones and make sure they're the right ones. GN909 for Turbos and GV636 for Non-Turbo. The wrong ones in the wrong engine don't work at all well and may last a matter of days.

You cannot test glowplugs with ohmmeter alone. That just shows some continuity and gives no indication that they are glowing properly...

The only way is to have them out, connect them carefully across a battery and watch the tip glow a bright orange/near yellow a few seconds after applying current. Only about the last 3/8" of the tip should glow and this should be even and bright.

If the plug takes a time to glow to cherry red or it glows all over or has "sunspots" (black areas in the glow) then they're scrap.

When testing glowplugs, do please bear in mind they get very hot so handle them carefully, holding them in a large pair of pliers; take care where you plut them down after a test. They stay hot for a while and can set fire to things if carelessly placed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jim