That time of year again.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I think your far better off with a Xantia Malcolm :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

As an update.
The service apparently is a major service at this mileage, but as the car's last major service was late it only needs a minor sevice this time round. Saves me a bit of money at least.

Found out where the Nexen tyres came from, the guys at the dealer all love 'em and where quite surprised that I find they lack grip. Other than those they tend to fit Firestones or Pirellis at around £70 all in each.

Talking of problematic citroens, my ex's C3 was always a bit tempremental, very much a Friday afternoon car it seemed.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I would never recommend firestones, very poor quality tyres. Ive had 4 tyres which have worn like 50 pence pieces, very uneven round the tread, with high and low spots. Making the car very noisey but also with the tyre deforing a risk of blow out. Two others perished after 3 years on the back of a car, had to be replaced for MOT.

Pirellis are ok, though they do seem hard and a little noisey. Ive only ever used new P6000 tyres and found them ok, though lacking in the wet a little. Ive heard that once they become a bit worn their performance really drops off.

I only stick with Contis, Goodyears or Toyos now.

Hmm, thinking about a C3 to buy actually ...
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Citroenmad wrote:I would never recommend firestones, very poor quality tyres. Ive had 4 tyres which have worn like 50 pence pieces, very uneven round the tread, with high and low spots. Making the car very noisey but also with the tyre deforing a risk of blow out. Two others perished after 3 years on the back of a car, had to be replaced for MOT.

Pirellis are ok, though they do seem hard and a little noisey. Ive only ever used new P6000 tyres and found them ok, though lacking in the wet a little. Ive heard that once they become a bit worn their performance really drops off.

I only stick with Contis, Goodyears or Toyos now.

Hmm, thinking about a C3 to buy actually ...
Based on my experience, which is admitedly only one car, I wouldn't recommend a C3 to anyone.
The ex had a 1.6 petrol with a sensodrive gearbox. The build quality was generally poor, trim falling off, or not attached to start with. 2 or 3 recalls for things in the first couple of years (only had it 3 years from new, on motability.)
It needed a new ABS sensor after 18 months, which required a whole new wheel bearing. The car would sometimes cut out at low speed, particularly if manouvering, Cit main dealer could never trace this. It had a temp sensor fail at about a year old, which resulted in the car not starting as it thought it was red hot and fueled it accordingly even when cold. Turning circle was wider than my 405, took me three years to be able to park the C3 first time like I could in the 405. Gear change was awful very jerky and very slow, you were never quite sure what the gearbox was going to do at any point in time.

On the plus side it had some nice toys (executive trim level). Cruise control is a real boon on long journeys. It was reasonably comfortable, with reasonable handling (never really chucked it about, not my place to do so.) The engine was quiet, although the road noise could be loud on some surfaces. Was fairly easy to drive, although the steering was far too light for my taste, but this suited the ex.

On the tyre side of things I'm liking the look of the Continental Premium Contact 2s from what I can see so far.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Thats not good news.

We all like the look and idea of a C3 and are looking forward to getting one, however i have heard a few tales of unreliability. I didnt think the C3s interior seemed too bad, maybe living with it is different. The worst offender for reliability seems to be the 1.4 HDi 16v 90hp, followed by the sensodrive gearboxes.

Ive heard that the 1.6 exclusive has a very big turning circle, but the others seems very tight. The one i drove on Saturday (HDi 8v) had a very impressive turning circle.

Ive been looking at owners reviews so have a bit better idea as to what to look for now. Not sure its a good idea to get one or not now, if we do and it turns out to be rubbish at least i will have been warned and wont be able to complain :lol:

I agree, Continentals are excellent tyres, ive had a good few of the premium1s which are superb. Wet grip is the best ive had from any tyre.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

As I said that is from one car. Hopefully if you do get one, you'll get a better one avoiding the exec level and the sensodrive.
The turning circle was a big annoyance for me, which if it is linked to the exec trim you may be able to avoid.
When the sensodrive box worked well it was very nice and easy to drive, I woud generally stick in manual and change up, whilst letting it change down (normally it had changed before I would have in a clutched manual), but as it got older (55 plate) that jerkiness and indecivisness got more pronounced. It seemed more noticeable if me and the ex swapped who was driving, so not sure if it was trying to "learn" our driving style.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Well the 406 has had it's MOT, passed with pretty much flying colours. One advisory on it.

Also as it stands at the moment I would definately recommend Gates in Brockenhurst.
They were perfectly able to follow my request for the MOT to be done before the service, took the car in at about 9.30 and it was ready again by 1pm, Having had the MOT, Service and a new anti rollbar linkage fitted, would have been sooner if I had answered my phone (whoops.) The final bill came to about £20 less than I had expected, which is always nice. Plus the staff were all polite and friendly.

I also got to have a play with a 1.6 HDi 207 Sport. Bit small for me, but very nice little car, and very nippy.

Now to wait for the next paycheck and decide which tyres to go with. I'm thinking continentals, incidently thats what was on the 207 and didn't manage to spin the wheels once.