405 lights on steering wheel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jacob

405 lights on steering wheel

Post by jacob »

P reg 405. 2 warning lights on steering wheel. What are these for? Nothing in the book.
One came on this evening as I was driving home.
jacob

Post by jacob »

Found the answer. There's just one (the other is a blank insert) and it's an air bag functionality check light - if it flashes the bag is not working
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that's it Jacob. You'll more than likely find the cause is a loose pretensioner connector under the front seats. Look for orange sheathed wires and check the 2-way connectors are well home and that there are no broken wires in the connectors.

In the 405 they have a habit of getting broken for reasons unknown.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jacob

Post by jacob »

CitroJim wrote:Yep, that's it Jacob. You'll more than likely find the cause is a loose pretensioner connector under the front seats. Look for orange sheathed wires and check the 2-way connectors are well home and that there are no broken wires in the connectors.

In the 405 they have a habit of getting broken for reasons unknown.
Hmm. Pretensioner?
I swapped the drivers seat for a better one (old one had splits, cigarette burns, safety belt clip not working).
There is a black box under the seat with un-connected leads coming out, one of which was connected to a thing under the old seat which isn't on the new seat. What is this kit? Should I worry about it now it's disconnected?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's the cause Jacob. The old seat had a seatbelt pretensioner (a pyrotechnic device to tension the seat belt if the airbag goes off) and the new one doesn't.

the box under the seat should (if memory serves, been a few years since I owned a 405) should have an orange wire to go to the pretensioner. If you still have the old seat you should be able to swap it onto the new seat.

Despite being pyrotechnic (explosive), they're quite safe to handle.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jacob

Post by jacob »

Thanks for that Jim. I will investigate further.