Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI wont start

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xwdkdmx2

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI wont start

Post by xwdkdmx2 »

Hi,

Please Help.

I recently changed the air flow temperature sensor, cleaned my air filter, and changed my fuel filter.

The car is running perfectly, however....

when left cold for a few hours - it will start - then cuts out and wont start without priming the little ball thing in the engine.

any help would be appreciated

thanks
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

maybe you have an air leak at the fuel filter, what type if filter housing dose it have

regards malcolm
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd agree air leakage.

Malcolm, from memory these have that 'sealed' unit next to the coolant expansion tank bottle.

I also remember some of them (as some Ford's that had this unit in did it to) the plastic fuel lines across the back of the engine could sometimes become porous, although rare but annoying...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI wont start

Post by JohnD »

xwdkdmx2 wrote:Hi,

and changed my fuel filter.

Maybe you haven't got it put together correctly. 'O' ring in the top OK?
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I changed mine a couple of weeks ago and it came with a kit of 'o' rings and plugs.
Put the 'o' ring in place and turned it on, spewed diesel all over the place, refused completely to seal with the 'o' ring in place, sealed fine without it.

Likely the same filter, but not certain as I was supplied the wrong one first - in fact all the filters were wrong, based on the registration number :(

It could still be that the cap is not correctly located - there is an index on mine to show correct location.
Perhaps there is some debris caught somewhere preventing an airtight seal. I would imagine this would result in spilled diesel as in my case but perhaps your car has the hand primer, not the lift pump in the tank. If so, operate the hand primer beyond it going hard and it may reveal the leak.

Thought I had a photo but apparently not :(
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

can you post a picy of your filter, i imagine it to be the oval type with the plastic ratchet type clamp to hold the lid in place,

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:can you post a picy of your filter, i imagine it to be the oval type with the plastic ratchet type clamp to hold the lid in place,

regards malcolm
I'm presuming you didn't mean mine Malcolm, but mines a round one, not oval.
My mate with the Berlingo had his filter changed about a month ago and his was the oval one, they broke the retaining clip when replacing it.

He went to a dealer (quite close to me as it happens) and they told him he could only buy the complete housing at £47+VAT.
Went to another dealer (who he despises as they gave him a terrible runaround on a C3) and bought just the cap for about a fiver.

This is mine:

Apologies for the rubbish photo. Although bright and sunny it was as black as Hades under the bonnet there. Camera popped the flash unit up after I had taken the photo. Couldn't see it - no glasses - so presumed it would be OK.

Wrong again :oops:

I've just had to 'attend' to it. Did a 100 mile trip to a scrapyard thet I suceeded in not finding but stopped to ask directions 12 miles down a cul-de-sac :shock: to the smell of diesel, filter housing had decided to leak.
Fixed that (hit it with a big hammer and a piece of wood - works every time :) ) and continued.

The scrapyard was actually only 20 miles away but the magical mystery tour syndrome kicked in on the way there, as usual.
xwdkdmx2

Post by xwdkdmx2 »

hi,

thanks for the replies

i have no idea about the orings

the filter is an alco ff058

any more help on fixing this myself is appreciated

thanks[/img]
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Is this the one?

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

myglaren wrote:
The scrapyard was actually only 20 miles away but the magical mystery tour syndrome kicked in on the way there, as usual.
Which scrapyard do you go to Steve? The Peterlee one?

Seems to be very few around here.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No, I was told there was a C5 in Bell's, Bishop Aukland but did a Gargle search and found a different one in Shildon that I took to be the one. Took a wrong turning off the A1 - went onto the A177 instead of the A638 or something. It just deteriorated from there and I kept going through Newton Aycliff, Shildon, Bishop Aukland etc but seeing nothing and directions were hopeless.
Had a coffee and scrubbed the diesel off my hands, got more useless directions, did another tour and gave up.

Reminds me of our return trip from Munich, or perhaps Cologne, we only had a short time to get the ferry in Kiel and somehow ended up in Bochum and couldn't get out, just went around in circles for ages. Saw the same scenery in a German film a few years ago and recognised practically every blade of grass :shock:

I'll get better directions for the week after next, when the car will have been crushed, and let Tomtom lead the way :)

Incidentally, when I went to print out the Gargle Maps & directions, it came up with not maps but dozens of photo's, from my house to the elusive scrapyard.

Unfortunately I have a five-second memory so they were no help at all.

At least I have vacuumed out ten tons of grit and crumbs from the car and refitted the trim I pulled off a couple of years ago to replace the aircon controller - except for one bit that I couldn't fathom where it lived so it's back in the box of bits for that one - forever probably.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i know what you mean about the type of filter houseing you have Steve,its a right pain in the doooo daaaa to stop them leaking, i spoze i will have to buy the propper tool ans see if that works better than my mole'y chain wrench,

those plastic clamps on the oval filter are availible on there own i belive

regards malcolm