306TD stop solenoid fitted.. no electrics

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Smokes

306TD stop solenoid fitted.. no electrics

Post by Smokes »

Hi there, recently our 97 306TD had decided to not turn off when you take the keys out and after some research I found that this was due to a stuck stop solenoid. We took the car to the garage and they confirmed this and said it was a 5 minute job to swap.

I got hold of a new one for a Lucas pump and fitted it yesterday myself. Now when you turn the key all the dash lights up as normal, wait for the glow plug light to go off, but when I turn the key to start her it clicks and all the electrics cut out. No dash lights, radio, central locking etc and i have to disconnect the battery and reconnect it to get power back :?

It does the same even with the live feed to the top of the solenoid off or on. Unfortunatly I dont have the old one to try back in as it broke when I took the nut off the top :cry: Also the feed to the top of the solenoid has been spliced into a live feed by the previous owner for whatever reason.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd suggest you have a short somewhere.

If it does happen with the solenoid feed disconnected, carefully check everything else you have touched (or been near) starter wiring / glowplug wiring etc.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Smokes

Post by Smokes »

Anything around that general area of the fuel pump to check? cant see that anything has moved at all :(
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Yes. That area.

One quick thing if its got a spade connector on it as its easy to reach: Pull the small 'feed' wire off the starter (make sure it will not touch anything!) and then try the key again.

I know it will not work without that, but if it does not short out, you have narrowed it down.

I suspect (difficult as I cannot 'see') you have something either connected wrongly (not that likely) or something like a wire trapped which has shorted out somewhere.

The consolation is as it only happens when the key is actually in the start position it should be relatively easy to find and isolate the cause.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG