405 brake servo problem. Any others fit?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OF.uk
My Cars:

405 brake servo problem. Any others fit?

Post by OF.uk »

I have a 1991 405 that has turned out to be an absolute money pit. I have a problem with the brake servo. The brakes are much harder to apply than they should and I've been told by my mechanic that I need a new one. I can't afford a new one at around £200 and am struggling to find one in a breaker's over here. Is the same servo used on any other Peugeot's so that I stand a better chance of finding a used one?
Thanks,
Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is this a petrol or diesel car,

if the later it might be your vaccum pump died

regards malcolm
Last edited by citronut on 11 Apr 2010, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Before you do anything else, check the filter! If it is clogged with muck the servo won't work very well.
OF.uk
My Cars:

Post by OF.uk »

Thanks guys.
Yes, it's a diesel. Where's the filter situated and if I need to replace the vacuum pump will any others fit or does it have to be from a 405?
Thanks,
Paul
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Looks like a little plug, usually on the front of the servo unit, about the size of a thimble.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Servos are normally very reliable and as said, it's likely a vacuum leak 'twixt pump and servo or a pump failure.

All vacuum pumps are all the same right across the range. There are two principal types: The direct drive type that is found bolted to the side of the head on later models and the belt-drive model. I would expect yours has the latter.

Test it by disconnecting the pipe between it and the servo and feeling for a vacuum. If none, the pump is duff or it's air inlet is blocked.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
OF.uk
My Cars:

Post by OF.uk »

Just an update.
My problem turned out to be the vacuum pump. Couldn't get a used one anywhere but a friend of mine owns a car parts shop and he located a repair kit for around £4 (1200 huf). Dead easy to replace as well.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Just an extra note here:

The most common cause of failure of the (belt drive) vacuum pumps is lack of oil.

By their nature no-one ever checks them :( , come to think of it I do not recall it being on the service sheet (as >92 have direct drive mostly)

The filler / level plug is a bit fiddly to get at which does not help with 'a quick check' . When I did mine (about a year ago I'll admit, but I wanted to change its oil) , I took it off did it that way.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG