My 106 won't start. Help?!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

H.A

My 106 won't start. Help?!

Post by H.A »

Hi... I'm new here but I was googling for help with my Pug 106.
It was bought for me as a non starter but the seller seemed to think that it was just the diesel pump that was shafted. So I've ordered a new one and had it fitted... Had the timing done etc etc.. But its still not starting...
You can hear it tryin to start... but as soon as you either let the key go, or take your foot of the gas it dies.
I'm not sure what else to look at. Any suggestions please?
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

if the timing is correct and the injector pump is working and you have diesel then check glow plugs and if not that the only thing i can think to check next is compression
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Serious amount of air in the fuel system can cause this too. The fuel pipe around the filter and probably pump area is clear tubing. Can you see any air bubbles (a lot) , or does the fuel look milky ? (serious amount of air)

I'm confused by you saying it stops running when you release the key (I thought of ignition switch faults) , will it actually keep running then if you keep your foot down (and have let go of the key?)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
H.A

Post by H.A »

Sorry, I probably didn't explain it all that well..

Ok, as far as I'm aware there are no air bubbles in the fuel line. We had the fun filled task of removing them! As we initially thought this was teh problem

Next... The key thing. When the key is turned the engine "chugs".. but as soon as you let the key go. It stops. However.. If you put your foot on the gas you can let the key go and u can hear the engine revving... but as soon as you take your foot on the gas it dies.

Hope that makes better sense
spider

Post by spider »

So it will (in theory) keep running if you keep your foot down ?

Does it sound reasonable when its actually running ? , the fact it runs shows its not a glowplug problem.

I'm still tempted to go with the post above, a timing issue, if your pump timing is out it will run (to a point) although quite badly.

The other possibility is the idle speed is set far too low, although unless this and the control lever have been off, its unlikely to be that far out.

I'd say get the timing re-checked first to be honest, I'd have to guess you are a tooth or two out with the pump.
Andy.

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

spider wrote: I'd say get the timing re-checked first to be honest, I'd have to guess you are a tooth or two out with the pump.
Agreed, sounds like a timing issue to me, got caught out once before with this, fitted the pump & it was running similar to what your saying, re- checked the timing & all appeared ok but the woodruf key had fell out the pump when fitting the pulley on so although everything lined up as it should on the pullies the timing was actually out.
H.A

Post by H.A »

Cripes! I didn't realise that it had been so long since I was on here!

Good news tho. The car is up and running!!! Turns out it wasn't the timing... ( that, was spot on as far as we can tell) .. But the engine had snuffed it.

So Daddy decided to use the spare one that we had, and now she runs like a dream! Sailed through her MOT after having some other areas attended to. Replaced the back axel. Changed a suspension spring. New wishbones. New gear linkages. You name it she's probably had it! haha
Oh.. And a replacement tailgate as my Dad dropped something on the last one and it was cheaper to get a complete tailgate than claim on the insurance! However she's now white and blue rather than all white!
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks for posting back and its good to hear all's good now :)
Andy.

H.A

Post by H.A »

You're welcome!

As and when I can have her longer than 5 mins I shall try and post a pic of her... She aint much... But she's mine! haha