405 door locking problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OF.uk
My Cars:

405 door locking problems

Post by OF.uk »

I'm an English expat now living in Hungary and last week bought a 1991 405 1.9d saloon. As I'm finding out it's come with allsorts of minor niggles. The 1st one I want get sorted out is to do with the central locking. It's been a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it would lock but then immediately unlock, sometimes it would stay locked for a while and then unlock itself. For the last few days it's been locking and staying locked but the rear right hand door won't lock at all. Any suggestions?
There are plenty more questions but I'll work through them slowly :D
Thanks,
Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

the first thing i would do is make sure all the door lock mechanisum's are well lubricated,

because if they cant reach the end of there travle fully, it could cause the symptons you are haveing,

the next thing to check is the wires between the door's and car body for damage/fractures,

regasrds malcolm
OF.uk
My Cars:

Post by OF.uk »

Thanks for the reply. I'll take the door card off and have a look inside. I can't even lock the door manually though.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Happened on mine, lock was stuck. I gave it a good clean out with WD40, then stuck some grease in it. Been fine for 2 years :D
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

One thing that can effect these (not that common) as the same as early 306's, if the lock buttons on the door tops cannot travel properly, this can cause the locking to bounce...

:)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
OF.uk
My Cars:

Post by OF.uk »

Thanks peeps. Lock tops were already removed so no sticking. Looks naff though. Will get locks working and then look to tidy the tops up.
OF.uk
My Cars:

Post by OF.uk »

Had a look at the door lock today and I'm still no wiser. The door doesn't lock either using the remote key, the central locking from the driver's door or the internal pin on the door itself. When using the central locking you can see/hear the mechanism moving but the lock doesn't seem to work. I tried taking the lock out by removing the door card and undoing the 3 bolts holding the lock in place but can't seem to remove it to clean/examine it. What do I need to do to disconnect it from the external door handle?? (short of taking the angle grinder to the door and cutting a bigger hole to gain better access ;) )
jacob

Post by jacob »

I just fixed mine, (P reg 405) sounds same problem. The door lock mechanism operated by the buttons and by the electrics, has various moving parts within the catch itself, which were sticking. The only way was to extract the lock itself and give it a good squirt of wd40. This was very fiddly on the first door, but easy once you have got the hang of it (with Haynes to help).
Now works perfectly like new!