Peugoet 406 Coupe Blowers not working??

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ldare2000

Peugoet 406 Coupe Blowers not working??

Post by ldare2000 »

Hi,

I've got a 1998 2.0 Petrol 406 Coupe. The blowers have stopped working? I've checked the main fuse for fan 1 and fan 2 and checked the fan relay fuse in the car but they seem fine.

Is there anything else simple I can check?

Thanks in advance
Louis
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is that the engine cooling fans or the heater/aircon blower Louis?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

CitroJim wrote:Is that the engine cooling fans or the heater/aircon blower Louis?
Hi Jim,
The heater fan. I should have also said I've the bottom of the range model with just an aircon button rather than climate control. The speed of the blower was controlled by a slider.

Thanks
Louis
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

HI Louis,

Whilst I'm not entirely familiar with the 406, I understand it is much the same as the Xantia in the blower department.

Expose the base of the blower motor in the passenger footwell and look fopr a brown 4-way connector. It will have two thick and two thin wires. The two thick ones carry the 12V supply.Check with a meter that you can see the full 12V on the two thick wires with the ignition on. If a full 12V is not seen then there is a problem with the supply. This is often caused by a failed set of contacts in the ignition switch.

If this is the case, a "helper relay" can be fitted to bypass the failed contacts and instructions on how to do this can be found in the "Supersticky" area of the forum. Be aware though that the "helper relay" modification was factory fitted in some late models.

A clue that the ignition switch has failed on a Xantia is that the heated rear window no longer works. I am not sure if this is the case on a 406.

If there is a good 12v present, check there is voltage going to the motor proper on the individual red and black wires. If there is good voltage here then the motor brushes have failed.

Zero voltas here points to a problem either in the electronic speed regulator module or the aircon ECU.

This thread gives some tests you can perform, along with details of the helper relay modification. Do bear in mind that the information is for the Xantia when reading...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

CitroJim wrote:HI Louis,

Whilst I'm not entirely familiar with the 406, I understand it is much the same as the Xantia in the blower department.

Expose the base of the blower motor in the passenger footwell and look fopr a brown 4-way connector. It will have two thick and two thin wires. The two thick ones carry the 12V supply.Check with a meter that you can see the full 12V on the two thick wires with the ignition on. If a full 12V is not seen then there is a problem with the supply. This is often caused by a failed set of contacts in the ignition switch.

If this is the case, a "helper relay" can be fitted to bypass the failed contacts and instructions on how to do this can be found in the "Supersticky" area of the forum. Be aware though that the "helper relay" modification was factory fitted in some late models.

A clue that the ignition switch has failed on a Xantia is that the heated rear window no longer works. I am not sure if this is the case on a 406.

If there is a good 12v present, check there is voltage going to the motor proper on the individual red and black wires. If there is good voltage here then the motor brushes have failed.

Zero voltas here points to a problem either in the electronic speed regulator module or the aircon ECU.

This thread gives some tests you can perform, along with details of the helper relay modification. Do bear in mind that the information is for the Xantia when reading...
Excellent thanks for that I'll give that a go and let you know tomorrow.

Thanks
Louis
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have just scraped an N reg 406 saloon and on taking the blower out, this car did not have air con and the heater controls were the slide type,

i found the fan resistor pack to be the same type as the air con variatey, which is the same as the XANT appart from the direction the motor spins and impelar blades face, but it only has one transistor fitted,

regards malcolm
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

scrapped it now after owning for 6 weeks. Always wanted a 406 coupe.... 1st and last Peugeot.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

ldare2000 wrote:scrapped it now after owning for 6 weeks. Always wanted a 406 coupe.... 1st and last Peugeot.
Presumably it had other faults over-and-above a gimpy fan blower??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ldare2000 wrote:scrapped it now after owning for 6 weeks. Always wanted a 406 coupe.... 1st and last Peugeot.
SCRAPPED!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :cry: A 406 Coupe scrapped :cry:

Why??????

And why will it be your first and last?

Still, at least it was not a V6 you scrapped but even so, I'm horrified :x
Jim