head bolt torx socket size ??

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TopDonkey
My Cars:

head bolt torx socket size ??

Post by TopDonkey »

I'm doing my head gasket, and i've got to the point where i remove the head bolts, but i was expecting to use my torx drivers to remove them, but its the exact opposite that i need, a quick google search has shown i need a torx socket to undo them, but does anyone know what size i need ?

I'd rather but 1 decent quality individual torx socket, rather than a cheap set of assorted sizes as i'd imagine that they will be rather expensive to buy

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What engine is this on?

You are meaning a "E" spline socket. The exact opposite of a Torx I presume...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Doh!, sorry, forgot to say that its a Peugeot 406 110bhp HDI estate

and yes, it is the exact opposite of a torx, is it called an E spline then ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

TopDonkey wrote: it is the exact opposite of a torx, is it called an E spline then ?
Not sure if that is the proper name but the sockets are identified by an initial E like Torx bits are identified with an initial T.

I'd take a stab that it's an E14 socket you need. It's the exact opposite of a T55 Torx, the size of the XU head bolts..

Not sure what the number means after the E, it does not seem to be related to any dimension...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Thanks, yes it is the exact opposite of a T55 as i held one up against it, best thing i can do i suppose it take my T55 bit with me tomorrow and see if i can find a socket that fits it

cheers
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

TopDonkey wrote:Thanks, yes it is the exact opposite of a T55 as i held one up against it, best thing i can do i suppose it take my T55 bit with me tomorrow and see if i can find a socket that fits it

cheers
Then the E14 is the one you need :D One thing though. The E14 I have is a 3/8" drive socket and for heads on a HDi, this may not be strong enough. See if you can get a 1/2" drive socket...

Good idea to take a T55 along just to be sure though. You will find it's a tad loose when you place a T55 inside an E14...
Jim

TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Excellent, thanks very much, all mine are 3/8ths as well, but i use a 3/8ths to half inch adaptor, so will try and get a direct half inch drive one