slipped cambelt aux tensioner to blame!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

slickus

slipped cambelt aux tensioner to blame!

Post by slickus »

hi there,
this is my first post and i am very greatful for any comments anyone has to make,
i will start from the begining of the storey.
My friend brought me his 406 98 1.9td on the back of an rac truck, the rac bloke was confident it had a broken cambelt, i looked under the bonnet and only 3 out of the 6 strands of aux belt was still intact, i removed what was left of the belt, i then removed the cambelt cover and although there was alot of aux belt in there the cambelt was still intact, i checked the timing using the proper kit and the diesel pump had jumped a few teeth (very lucky if you ask me) i re-timed everything and it started like a dream, i then checked why the aux belt had come off, one of the tensioner pullys is out of alignment, not a million miles but enough to cause a problem i belive. its the top tensioner the one that has a 3/8th size hole to adjust and a large spring behind alternator, (not the excentric cam tensioner under it) my question to all you experts is how can i replace this item, it looks like its part of the pas alternator and possibly ac bracket. i have spotted this on ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-406-V-BEL ... 3358c83071
but would this only be fitted if the bearing was had it, or do you think it will fix my alignment problem as well. secondly will i have to remove ac, alt, and pas pump to get to it and if so would it be easier to just get the whole bracket including this bit already in it from a breaker,
once again many thanks
Andy
(a qualified but very fresh ford tech)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Andy, You'll find a spring lives at the opposite side of the idler tensioner
you've linked to on the ebay auction. The spring will likely give lots of
grief/play chattering on the pulley as the 'eyes' at either end tend to wear
oval/widen on the bolts and put excessive strain on the pivot bearings on
the idler. It IS the idler that you need but likely the spring too.

The idler tensioner has a large pivot bolt which runs through the bearing
which "may" have a twist on it although this isn't likely TBH.

Andrew
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

I'd change the cambelt as well, as it's already been stressed enought to jump a couple of teeth and now will not be at it's best.
The last thing you need is for it to snap after you've done all the work.

You don't need to remove the alternator ect to change the tentioner, have a reed of this.
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=25816
It's the same for the 406 1.9td's.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;