gearstick disconnected?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john_csfweb

gearstick disconnected?

Post by john_csfweb »

i have a 306 and when i went to start it today it was as if the gearstick was no longer connected to the gears or something. it is just loose so i cant put it in gear. it was fine last night, just wandering if anyone else has come across similar problems? cheers
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum :D

This is an easy one. You'll find one of the ball-jointed linkages between the gearbox and selector rods back to the gearstick has fallen off. One end of the balljoint on each link rod is embedded in rubber. Usually the rubber breaks up and the linkage falls off.

Superglue will effect a (very) temporary repair but replacement is the complete answer.

Often the splits if they are roughly handled during a clutch change.

The linkages are not easy to see. Have a look at the back of the gearbox and you'll see three of them.

You don't say which engine/gearbox it is so I'm assuming a BE3 above. If it's a small engined model with the MA gearbox then an additional common cause of this is the roll pin on one of the selector rods falling out.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Almost certainly what Jim says, has happened to me as well in fact. I just replaced the linkage, £13 from the stealers. Fortunately the 405 has good access, not sure on the 306.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Access is not bad :)

Maybe need to whip the battery (possibly airfilter depending on model) out so you can lean in a bit more.

I used to use a open ended end of a spanner to pop them off (to act as a "fork") , can't remember what size, I think 11mm is about right, but as its come off anyway simply twist / pull upwards to get the other end off.

I'm not sure (can't remember) if some of these have that big bush in the end of the main rod, I doubt that's failed as you'd still have some gears.

As above really, a look around the linkages will show the problem. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG