306 TD wont shut off

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petherwins
My Cars:

306 TD wont shut off

Post by petherwins »

Hi all,heres hoping some of you may be able to help me out!
The problems are- engine wont stop unless I take the wires off stop soleniod.
dash warning light and battery light stay on all the time(even when key removed)
no glow plug light,tried another control unit still the same.
I have no power to glow plugs and this weather its very difficult to get the car going!
I've allso pulled all the relays I could find and tried another ignition switch but the dash lights wont go out,any help much apreciated,thanks Alan
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Which lights stay on on the instrument panel ?

I'd suggest your ignition switch is shorted (so its always "on") , possibly you have a serious earth issue (less likely, but check battery earth leads) , the other quick thought I have is there is something else (a permanent live) actually shorting to the feed to the stop solenoid wire (probably in the engine bay) which would back-feed and hold a few other circuits on too.
scottishpaul

soleniod

Post by scottishpaul »

soleniod plunger is sticking by the sound of it ive only seen this once over the years .........but dash lights staying on im not use off there must be a feed of power all the time to soleniod maybe which is a very small voltage really just to keep it open
pug 306 -turbo d 1993 -2001 xantia hdi 90 bhp -2000 partner van 2.0 hdi 90bhp
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Backfeed to solenoid would (as I sort of put above) cause the battery light to stay on and the solenoid to stay "open".

I'd initially suspect (as above) the ignition switch. Easy to unplug and confirm if that's the case though anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG