air in diesel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colinxm
My Cars:

air in diesel

Post by colinxm »

Hi all, anyone here ever tried to replace the diaghragm for the diesel primer that sits on top of the diesel filter ? if so, how did it go/ are the parts readily available ?

Mine is leaking slightly, enough to upset the pump at startup after the car has sat all night :cry:

Cheers, Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate
2004 Pug 307 SW
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Which model is it ?

I ended up on my 205DT (the one with the unheated filter sat behind the battery) using one of these off ebay:

I was not aware the part(s) you need are available, you might have to buy the "head" (I could be wrong)
colinxm
My Cars:

Post by colinxm »

Hi Spider, mine is a Cit 2.1td with the Bosch pump and purflux filter housing also fitted to the side of the battery housing.
I'll have a look on ebay, the mann unit you've pictured looks a nice piece of kit :D

Cheers Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate
2004 Pug 307 SW
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7
spider

Post by spider »

Yes it was not a lot of money and seemed better than going to the scrappy for a used one of something else... :)

I'll be honest, I'm not familiar with what the Citroen has (as this is in the Peugeot forum) , but I would assume its similar to the 406 2.1 (the "tophat" type filter arrangement) , but your description does not sound like that.

Can you post a pic ? , if its similar to that then its probably easier to replace the head to be honest unless you can get the seals and plunger cheaply.

Not sure what to suggest until I see what you have really.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The BX uses this kind of filter and they do give a lot of bother. The BX Club Forum may well have something on replacing the diaphragm.

Personally, if it were I, I'd go to the scrappy and get hold of the later XUD filter mounted on the thermostat housing (The "Gasholder" shaped one). You'll need the thermostat housing and priming bulb too but you do then get the distinct advantage of a fuel heater underneath the filter...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:Personally, if it were I, I'd go to the scrappy and get hold of the later XUD filter mounted on the thermostat housing (The "Gasholder" shaped one). You'll need the thermostat housing and priming bulb too but you do then get the distinct advantage of a fuel heater underneath the filter...
Slightly off topic (as I'm not the one who's got this problem) , I wanted to do that to mine but as its a TD205, its not "that" easy given the hose locations for the oil cooler etc, I looked into it, they never fitted that filter design to the turbo 205's, only the NA ones (which did not have an oil cooler) , its just about possible but I need to mix/match a lot of hoses. I've got a topic open about my "home made" fuel heater although I've not had chance to fit it yet due to the snow etc.