time to leave the 405 fold!! engine advice wanted

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fodtommo
My Cars:

time to leave the 405 fold!! engine advice wanted

Post by fodtommo »

Right - the time has come to replace the last of my 405 estates with a 406. what I would like is some advice on engines.

I am used to having only 1 choice of diesel engine - the 1.9td xud engine!!

Now I have 4 choices - 1.9td, 2.1td and 2.0hdi 90 or 110

I know the 1.9 beast well and know it to be as bulletproof as a chieftan tank. But the 406s with this lump are old now and generally seem to be pretty low spec. Also I wander if the heavier car is a bit much for the old lump?

the 2.1td i know nothing about - is it a larger capacity xud engine? - if not what is it and what sort of milages / probs are we likely to see??

Then we have the HDI engine - I have heard horror stories about this engine but there seem to be a lot of high milage cars about which is always a good sign. I have seen a very high spec 110 bhp with around 160k and full history - if this was a 1.9td id happily buy it... but i know nothing about these engines, but im very tempted by their mpg and road tax!!

All comments gratefully recieved!

Tom
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I can't really comment on the mechanical merits of any of the engines listed, but I have recently swapped from a P reg 1.9td 405 estate to a 51 plate 2.0HDi 90 406 estate (~140000 miles).

I also test drove a 2.0HDi 110 406 estate when I was looking around.

The 90 is quite a nice engine IMHO, it could possible do with a little more oomph, but that is not to say it lacks power. I think more of my problems come from poor quality front tyres (next thing to be changed I think). It feels nippier than the 405, but I can't place why.

The 110 I drove didn't feel much more powerful, it made a bit more noise, but didn't seem to do anything with it, of course that maybe a reflection on the car itself rather than the engine.

I get about the same mpg or better than the 405, 45-50mpg on average, mixed over town and long distance.

When I first got it I thought I was going to miss the 20 hp cf the 110 I drove, but I really haven't noticed it since.

I know most of that possibly doesn't help you, but to sum up I am quite happy with the 2.0HDi, and I think I would be happy with either variant of it.

(On a side note a bit unrelated I also drove a 2L injection petrol honda (165bhp), what a dog, less power than any of the Peugeot diesels I've driven!)
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I'd go for the 2.0 hdi 110

I have a C5 with that lump and its excellent - pulls far better than the 2.0 hdi 90 that I used to have in a xsara. not as economical but it's pulling a much heavier car.

Don't know the 2.1 td

I considered the 2.2 hdi when I bought my C5 but on the peugeot 406 coupe club site I heard lots of reports of early versions of this engine giving problems with the FAP filter / Eolys system (the dreaded antipolution warning...) so I steered clear. Maybe one to consider if you are looking at a later model.
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

The 1.9 is the only one suitable for veggy oil. If that doesn't bother you, then I'd be getting an HDI. A far more sophisticated engine, and as you say you have the choice of newer cars. There are loads of high milers out there, and they are a popular taxi choice so I don't think they are as bad as people say. I'm sure someone posted a link to a Xantia HDI on ebay that had 330,00 miles. Plus they can be remapped for some extra oomph 8)

The 2.1 is an XUD, but with partial electronic fueling. Apparently the fuel pumps are weak (you get this engine occasionally fitted with the better Bosch pump, but I think the 406 was only ever fitted with the Lucas).
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

OwenP wrote: (On a side note a bit unrelated I also drove a 2L injection petrol honda (165bhp), what a dog, less power than any of the Peugeot diesels I've driven!)
The only 2L Honda I've driven was exactly as you describe it until you revved the backside off it - I wouldn't have driven it anything like as hard but the owner insisted and he was right, it totally transformed it.

Not a choice for a relaxing cruise.... :wink:
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

rabenson wrote:
OwenP wrote: (On a side note a bit unrelated I also drove a 2L injection petrol honda (165bhp), what a dog, less power than any of the Peugeot diesels I've driven!)
The only 2L Honda I've driven was exactly as you describe it until you revved the backside off it - I wouldn't have driven it anything like as hard but the owner insisted and he was right, it totally transformed it.

Not a choice for a relaxing cruise.... :wink:
Same here - it couldn't get out of it's own way under 3,000 revs.