Glow Plug Woes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

First a bit of bad news :(

In my excitment last night I went to bed and forgot to lock the back door and the pug. Some theiving scum came round and took a wallet (with cash and cards), a jacket and a phone from the house. They then went into my pug and ripped the boost gauge off the dash, and stole the emergency mobile and a torch from the glove box. I can't believe how stupid I've been and suffice to say I feel absolutely sick. This is supposed to be a nice area :? The worst of it is it's my own stupid fault. Let this be a lesson to anyone reading, check your doors are locked! I'll update you with car stuff later, I don't feel like looking at it right now :cry:
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Commiserations on the thefts and damage after all that hard work Ally.
Don't beat yourself up too much, we have all done the same or similar I'm sure, just been lucky and got away with it.

Some people just need putting in the stocks and pelting with rotten eggs and overripe fruit. Barstewards!
Lawrence1973
My Cars:

Post by Lawrence1973 »

Scum!

Sorry to hear that
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Thanks guys, feeling a bit better about it this week, could have been a lot worse. The good news is there's a possible lead on catching the scally that did it, if the police can be bothered.

Jim, I shook the head about until the plug located upside down in the glow plug hole. I then got a hex key, and put it down through the port on the cylinder side. I located this back of the glow plug, and tapped it out with a hammer. It sounds easy, but it wasn't!

Here's what I've been busy with.....

I took the head to a local engineering place that reconditions engines, and got them to do a full bhuna recon :P It cost a few quid, but it looks great! They said the valve seats were in bad shape. I also got the inlet manifold chemically degreased, which they did for free.

Popped round to GSF and got an accessory belt and head bolts.

This evening I cleaned the top of the block ready for the head going back on tomorrow. I also fitted a new set of Bosch Duraterms, and spent a while cleaning and degreasing a lot of bits. I have a source for a product called "Decon 90" which is a phenominal degreaser. If you can get some, it's great for engine bits.

Assuming my hang over isn't too bad on Sunday, I'm hoping to have it finished by the end of the weekend :D

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Lawrence1973
My Cars:

Post by Lawrence1973 »

It's a beautifu thing!
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Quick update,

Got the head torqued down as per Haynes, timing belt refitted and tensioned, engine turned over by hand serveral times, timing holes line up fine \:D/ Got the turbo and exhaust manifold refitted tonight. Injectors have been sent off for a recon. I'm away for a couple of days, next update saturday or sunday!

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I'm having real trouble getting the auxiliary belt back on. I noticed when removing the old one, that even with the tensioner backed right off, it was still so tight I couldn't slide it off. I ended up cutting it off as it was getting renewed anyway. Now that I have the new one, it seems impossible to fit :? Haynes, as usual, makes it sound very easy. Any ideas?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Ok, spent all day on this and can't get it fitted. Closest I've come is to remove the tensioner altogether, fit the belt, and then try and lever the tensioner back into position. Access to the bolt that goes into the top of the tensioner is woeful. Not sure what I'm going to do, very frustrating to come this close and then be stopped by what is allegedly a simple task :?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dies your 405 have aircon?

If so, you need to relieve the belt adjustment fully by means of the shouldered Allen bolt that the jockey wheel bracket sits on. This bolt is often so tight it refuses to move. Have the framework off and get the adjustment bolt eased off and working and all will then be fine.

Are you trying to use a new belt and are you sure the routing is correct? If you need, I can supply a diagram.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Hi Jim,

No, it doesn't have air con, I should have mentioned. As far as I can tell, there is only one possible routing for the belt. It's a new belt I'm trying to fit.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Well.....I do feel a bit stupid. I got a genuine belt from the Peugeot dealer. It's slightly bigger than the pattern part I got from GSF! Not so much you would notice right away, but if you stretch them out end to end the Peugeot one is a tad bigger. Suffice to say I got that one fitted in about 10 minutes. Lesson learned, keep old belt until you have new one.

Waiting on one more part then a couple more hours work should see the old bird alive again, fingers crossed.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Great stuff!

Waiting here patiently for the good news that all is now fine...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Well, here we go......

It was the moment of truth today. Connected her up to an external tank of biodiesel, not sure what state the veg in the tank is going to be in after all this time. After a bit of cranking, she fired up for the first time in 2 months :D

I let her idle for a while to get up to temprature, no obvious problems. The only thing spoiling the party is that there's an unusual whine coming from the timing belt. I'm going to investigate this before her maiden voyage. Bit of a pain, as I've got to take the engine mount off again to get the covers off. Do you think I've maybe over tightened it?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Looking good Ally!!! Well done!

Yes, a whine is most likely a tight belt. Redo the tensioner adjustment and all should be perfect. One thing i find is that you must allow the tensioner to find it's own tension. Set it, spin the engine over a couple of revolutions by hand and then redo the tension adjustment.
Jim

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Good news!

I rentensioned the belt and it sounds much better...in fact it doesn't make any noise at all anymore. Tidied up all the other odds and sods and then me and my old man went out for a test drive. It was driven very gently, old man suggested I heat cycle the engine a couple of times before stepping on the gas. Very curious to know what a new head and injectors has done for the performance, but I'll be patient 8)

So far so good, but I'm really paranoid it's going to break or blow up. It's 20 miles each way to work tomorrow, if I make it back without problems I might declare success. What sort of stuff should I be looking out for?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.