New Pug 406 Definately, but not this one.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

New Pug 406 Definately, but not this one.

Post by OwenP »

Hey Guys,

After a couple of horrendous journeys in the 405 I have decided it is headed for the scrapyard (or part ex preferably) so I'm looking for a new car.

Went for a test drive in a very nice X-reg 406 2.0 HDi this morning think it was a GLX, seemed to have all the toys, electric seats, AC, CD player, SatNav supposedly; couldn't find it. Drove beautifully.

Couple of questions;

When the handbrake was on it would say low brake fluid about 50% of the time, brakes seemed fine and there seemed to be enough fluid in the resevoir (albeit possibly a tad low), should this be just a case of topping up or is it an indication of something more sinister?

Also when driving the side airbag warning light was on. Dealer reckoned it wasn't when he took it out before I did, and then wasn't when he parked it back up again. So possibly intermittent. Will this cause an MOT fail and should it be a cause for concern (bearing in mind I don't plan to crash)?

Anything else I should be looking for on it?

Cheers
Last edited by OwenP on 03 Sep 2009, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Our petrol 406 frequently displays a low brake fluid warning when the handbrake is applied. The fluid is up to max. We had somebody check the brakes over, and he said there was nothing wrong with them. He suggested it was a faulty sensor. It's been like this for ages and the brakes work great.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The air bag light is not an mot fail,but will be an advisory.Could well be the connections under the seat(as the a/bags are in seat sides).I had my connections re-solidered which cured the problem,same as the Xantias etc.
If it has sat nav(which i dont think it does on that year)you will have a black remote control,the sat nav unit is usally mounted in the boot on the r/h/side(cd changer on left)& the aerial will have a spiral wire running the length of the aerial under the black rubber cover.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k