406 driveshaft/abs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

406 driveshaft/abs

Post by np »

Just had the ABS code read on my 406.I need a new l/h drive shaft.The Peugeot main dealer has quoted £252 all in to replace,inc d/shaft,gaiters & g/box oil.After costing it my self,it comes to £130 ish.
My question is,if i do it myself,will the ABS light have to be reset,or will the ecu detect no fault & clear itself??
The dealer charged £40 for the fault code,around £10-£25 cheaper than the 4 French indies in Bristol! :)
Also,seem to have a slight diesel leak around the fuel injector on the l/h side,nearest the camshaft.Looks like the sealing ring/fire ring???
Is that a fairy easy fix?Looks like a few pipes to remove,but access is great.
Cheers,Neil. :)
Last edited by np on 28 Aug 2009, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Well i clamped the abs ring in place,cleaned up abs sensor,but still the light wont go out.Gave up,thinking i`ll have to replace the cv joint,as i also striped 1 tooth off the abs ring.
Had to also sort out my handbrake as its a bit poor.Noticed i had a funny noise from inside the rear disk(handbrake shoes inside rear disk)removed it all to find the handbrake shoe retaining pin & spring had come out.While it had been rattling around inside,its striped 2 teeth off the abs sensor ring
Now looks like i need 1 front cv joint,1 rear wheel hub & 2 lts of g/box oil.£91 from ECP`s.
And the injectors are not leaking.I need to renew the rocker cover gasket.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

cant you just build the teeth back up with mig then file them to shape,

also the car i welded the ABS ring on the light did not go out till i drove the car along my workshop yard,

regards malcolm
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Might be able to weld up front ring.I`m a digger driver & we have a large workshop.But to get to the rear teeth,you have to take the hub off.Both the Haynes bol & others i`ve spoken to say that its very likely that the rear bearings will be damaged when the rear hub is extracted.
As you said Malcolm,i too have since found out that you have to drive the car afterwards for the light to reset.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Well,done the cv joint this afternoon.All fairly easy.Had trouble re-filling gearbox oil.But i`m not the only one not to have a fill/level plug on my gearbox going by my 406 o/club site :roll: .Filled oil up through g/box breather vent.Gearchange feels a bit smoother now,but the abs light is still on.
So off with the rear hub,but found another piece of metal in the dust,which turns out to be the tip off the abs sensor :roll: .So the broken retaining screw broke 2 teeth off the abs ring,AND the abs sensor tip.Not very happy :x
Hopefully ECP`s will have a sensor in the morning.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Sensor came in this afternoon,£57 inc from ECP`s.Fitted sensor,new rear hub,brakes etc.Drove off the drive & within 100 yrds the abs light went out :D .All working ok now,so well pleased.Just need to replace rocker cover gasket & service it tomorrow now. :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

glad to hear your fixed up now,

i always use the breather vent to fit gear oil, i take the hole vent plug out (17mm socket),

regards malcolm