97 106 won't start after switch wrecked - transponder?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Philjw
My Cars:

97 106 won't start after switch wrecked - transponder?

Post by Philjw »

Can anyone tell me where to find the transponder aerial in the pug 106 and what it looks like?
A helpful breakdown man has wrecked the ignition switch on a friends car. I think the problem could be the immobilisor. I have a spare ignition switch from a Xantia. This fits the plugs and seems to power everything but the engine won't start.
There is a black plug hanging loose near the ignition switch with nothing to attach to it anywhere to be seen. Is that for the transponder?
How should I test if the immobilsor is the problem? Does it kill the ignition - there is no spark at the plugs - or stop the fuel? Other posts have mentioned a double relay to be found under the ECU. Could that be the problem?
Any help gratefully received. I'm more at home with Citroen diesels
Phil

05 C5 Estate 2.0 16v + 05 C4 Hatchback 2.0 16V
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

What was the initial fault with the car ?
The transponder aerial has a 6 pin black plug on it & it is a black ring that clips over the ignition barrel at the keyway. The engine will crank over ok if the transponder is not recognised but there wil be no fuel injector switching (although the fuel pump will still operate). It will most likely stop the spark aswell but im not 100% on that.
On the saxo there is a key warning light that will flash if the key is not recognised but on the 106 i dont belive there is a warning light for it even though it uses the same system.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as wheeler said but as well as the transponder around the kneck of the ignition barrel you will need the original chiped ingnition key which must shack hands with the transponder,

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

The key wouldn't go into the ignition lock. The rescue service mechanic apparently attacked the lock with a cold chisel and there is no sign of the transponder aerial. Maybe he smashed it or simply lost it.
The original key does now go into the original lock though there are parts of the lock missing.
I've ordered the aerial from the main dealer at £23 and will try again with the Citroen switch and the original key placed close to the aerial. How close do you think it needs to be? Do you reckon it will work if the original key is on the same keyring as the replacement?
Phil

Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Malcolm - Just noticed your question. The car is in Witham in Essex.
Phil

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would be straight back in touch with the brakedown company and kick off, as it sounds like they have caused damage to the car,

can you tell us the sequence of events from before and after the buttchers were called in,

the reason i asked the cars were abouts is you might have to get it hitched up to a DIAG (DEALERS DIAGNOSTI MACHINE) which i do have,
but im in east sussex

my brother used to live in Witham

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Philjw wrote:How close do you think it needs to be? Do you reckon it will work if the original key is on the same keyring as the replacement?
just having it on the same keyring wont work, it has to be quite close. Best thing to do is tape the key inside the aerial in roughly the same position as how it would sit on the barrel & then you can tuck it out the way.
As for the breakdown company, you will probably find that the owner signed a damage disclaimer prior to them attempting to bypass the steering lock, I'm not saying that it makes it ok as to me i would say that damaging the aerial was totaly avoidable by simply unclipping the aerial. I just might make it a bit more difficult to try and claim them for it.
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

I'm afraid that I am a bit vague on what happened.
The car belongs to the 17 year old son of a friend. Yes he did sign a damage waiver and yes I'm sure that the lad's father will be having words with the break down outfit anyway. I'm not hopeful that it will do any good.

As for the diagnostics, thanks for the offer but taking a non runner down to sussex would be a problem. Lets see if the new part does the trick.
Phil

Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

The new aerial cured the non starting. The key needs to be held really close to the aerial when you turn over the engine then it can be removed. Thanks to those of you who gave advice.
Phil