RT3 Reboot

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

504GLD

RT3 Reboot

Post by 504GLD »

I have experienced my 1007's RT3 unit rebooting whilst driving down the motorway, and oddly in exactly the same place. The second time I couldn't believe it, but I did notice by the side of the motorway a massive mobile phone mast with about 30 transmitters on it. Would the power output from that mast be enough to confuse the GSM on the RT3. When it comes up again its all fine. Its southbound on the M3 before the M27 interchange.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh yes it would and it's not uncommon for it to happen althiough I would have thought that in such a modern car the screening wold have lowered the risk but it sounds like the mast in question was radiating rather a lot of power.

There had been talk about the law enforcement agencies directing high power RF at a car in order to immobilise it. Quite feasible and easily done.

I have spent some considerable time working in HF radio transmitting stations and it is a real battle to keep the RF out of things and strange things happen in high RF fields like flourescent tubes lighting on their own. Keeping high power RF out of sensitive electronics is a real art and from what I've seen, in cars, only lip service is paid to it.

Back in the 70s we were given as a treat following completion of our apprentiships, a visit to the BBC World Service transmitting station at Crowborough where there was some very high power stuff. We travelled there in an Avenger and the owner had made his own electronic ignition. It worked perfectly all the ay until just near the station and the RF killed it dead. Similarly the DJ running a disco in a local pub had a terrible job keeping the BBC out of his amplifier! Likewise, you could walk around the site and hear the BBC on the fence due to the "rusty bolt effect" where a bit of corrosion on a fence joint acts as a diode rectifier and effectively demodulates the audio in the RF field. Fun stuff this high power RF :D

Honestly, there's not a lot to be easily done about it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

It was just very strange to be in exactly the same lane, same kind of speed, same place for it to happen so only can conclude its the phone mast.