405 rear brakes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

subhuman
My Cars:

405 rear brakes

Post by subhuman »

Hi,
Well, my 405 (92 GTDT saloon) recently failed MOT on NSR footbrake. Cause seemed to be a badly worn disc. Swapped both rear discs. Pads are only a couple of months old and still level so I didn't swap those. At the same time, I did the following:
* Checked caliper pistons and seals, both OK and not seized.
* Replaced and regreased guide upper and lower guide pins on both rear brakes.
Now, as I'm only an amateur mechanic, I don't have too much experience with brakes. My Haynes manual doesn't really go into much detail on how to 'set' the brakes up once the pads have been reinsterted etc... I can't seem to stop them binding (I haven't taken the car for a drive yet, just rotated the wheels while the car was up on the axle stands)
I've adjusted the hnadbrake cable and this seemed to help a little bit (even if the handbrake didn't feel as 'solid' afterwards)
Also, even though I've replaced and regreased the guide pins, the caliper doesn't seem to move all that 'freely'.
One thing I've been told to try is clean up the trough that the pads sit in, make sure the spring/pins which hold the pads are positioned correctly (although I'm not sure how to check this) and to file away any corrosion when the pad is seated.
I'd appreciate any insight into what I'm sure is a fairly simple fix.
Cheers,
sub.
subhuman
My Cars:

Post by subhuman »

Car failed on MOT retest, even after a cleanup of the brakes.
Same thing... car was on the rolling road, front brakes caused the car to virtually fly off, rears did hardly anything.
I'm starting to think that the calipers are knackered. The binding pads could be caused by the piston not retracting. Can anyone describe how 'smooth' the retraction of a piston usually is when using a proper caliper wind back tool ?
I'm thinking of getting hold of a caliper rebuild kit and also replacing the rear hoses at the same time (look as if they're on there way out)
GSF don't appear to sell rebuild kits, but I know they're available. Same goes for braided hoses (been told to keep away from the rubber ones) Any ideas ?
Cheers,
sub.