405 running issues

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi

405 running issues

Post by Toby_HDi » 19 May 2009, 10:15

Got a 405 here 1995 with the XU5 engine (1.6)

Basically it has not been running right. Idling high (what are they supposed to idel at? I always thought about 800rpm?) and not returning to idle on overrun. It would also just lose all power when you went to throttle up.

I discovered a fuel leak in the engine bay which was down to a loose clip. tightened that up and now you can throttle up no problems (still doesn't feel right after driving my HDi :roll:)

The problem of the idle speed and not returning to idle is still present. On top of this the fuel gauge oscillates slowly, going down to between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark and then back up to just above 1/2 (which I believe is what is in there) EM light shows when it wants to, it's not on atm.

I believe some of the problem lies with the throttle cable. The inner cable seems very baggy yet I can find no way of adjusting it.

Any ideas?

OwenP

Post by OwenP » 19 May 2009, 12:15

Can't really help with the high idle, but on my 405 the fuel gauge has a few quirks.

When full it reads optimistic, then it will plumment suddenly to 3/4 and when it reaches 1/2 it will read very pessimistic, bouncing between 1/4 and 1/2 as the fuel sloshes.

Could your gauge be doing something similar to mine?

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG » 19 May 2009, 13:09

There may be a couple of issues here, with the engine running check the voltage across the battery to ensure it is stable at just above 14v.

As for the fast idle speed look/listen carefully for an intake leak beyond the throttle butterfly, including any disconnected vacuum hoses.