help me fix my 405 fan

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dturbo

help me fix my 405 fan

Post by dturbo »

One of the fans in my 405 1.6 carb won't work. Car was overheating during the winter but now in the summer it also cuts out my a/c.
The fan that is not working is the one that used to come on when I turned off the engine (it cools the carb for up to 12 minutes I think).

Using the search function, I removed the grill (4 screws) and turned the fans by hand. Both turn with ease. There are 3 black boxes with wires going into them one on each side and one in the middle.

Not being mechanically minded can you tell me which wires I need to short and how to do it in order to check if the fan motor is ok?
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Have a look at Cooling Fans.This should give you some idea of the layout of the wires :)

Also have a good read through Mike T Cooling fans not working thread :) :)

Hope this helps

Colin
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

some time ago i had a problem with the fans on my 405 diesel, i eventualy found it was a wiring connector that runs along the bottom of the valance/bumper. it had corroded and fallen apart.
poddack

Post by poddack »

I managed to cure mine the other day out of sheer luck, the left hand fan has never worked as long as I've had her (406 2.1td estate). I removed the brown temp connector which brought the rhs fan on full blast, I poked the middle of the bad fan with my finger a couple of times and it hiccupped. So I thought I'd whack it a little bit harder with the handle of a screwdriver, at first it did half a turn then span slowly then recovered to full speed. I left it running a few minutes and it still works now.