Are there any Peugeot 205 GTi owners on here?...

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris Hughes
My Cars:

Are there any Peugeot 205 GTi owners on here?...

Post by Chris Hughes »

Just wondering are there any Peugeot 205 GTi owners on here?

As it's the 25th anniversary of the Peugeot 205 GTi this year I thought I would start this Topic to see how many 205 GTi owners we have on here and have a place where we can post pictures of our cars.

To start the ball rolling here some pictures of my Alpine White 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6...

Last edited by Chris Hughes on 10 May 2009, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Alpine White Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I don't know of current ones but Jim certainly had one, nice car you have there BTW.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Chris Hughes
My Cars:

Post by Chris Hughes »

Thank you Dickie
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That is a gorgeous example Chris :D Good to see a 1.6 so lovingly cared for...

I owned this 1.6 for a good few years. Bought as a wreck and carefully brought back to full health and original spec and then sadly sold when circumstances dictated a practical car was needed :( It was sold to a member of the 205gtidrivers forum but tragically died about six weeks later :cry:

One very special car I'll never forget 8)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris Hughes
My Cars:

Post by Chris Hughes »

CitroJim wrote:That is a gorgeous example Chris :D Good to see a 1.6 so lovingly cared for...

I owned this 1.6 for a good few years. Bought as a wreck and carefully brought back to full health and original spec and then sadly sold when circumstances dictated a practical car was needed :( It was sold to a member of the 205gtidrivers forum but tragically died about six weeks later :cry:

One very special car I'll never forget 8)
Thanks Jim

Your red one looked really nice too! :cry:
There aint that many standard straight ones left in the UK they've all been turned into track/rally cars, gone into a hedges backwards, srapped or turned into horible modified mobile Halfords adverts by the burbury crew.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed Chris :( There are not may truely standard ones left now and that's a shame as Peugeot got them right first time and they are now a bona-fide classic.

I guess by another of your posts that you know Andrew (Andmcit) and I'm sure he has told you of his dislike for those 205GTi owners who kill Xantia Activas for their engines :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris Hughes
My Cars:

Post by Chris Hughes »

CitroJim wrote:Indeed Chris :( There are not may truely standard ones left now and that's a shame as Peugeot got them right first time and they are now a bona-fide classic.

I guess by another of your posts that you know Andrew (Andmcit) and I'm sure he has told you of his dislike for those 205GTi owners who kill Xantia Activas for their engines :twisted:
Yes Andrew is a friend of mine who has helped me on numorus occations with the restoration of my Pug. The fact that PSA use the same bits in the Peugeots and Citroens of the period can be useful when you've got a old Peugeot and a mate with a load of old Citroens.

I don't agree or disagree with the whole engine swap into GTi, let me explan my thoughts

I dont really see the point in putting the Xantia Activa's lump in a GTi anyway its an engine designed for high speed crusing not 0-60 times. I know there isnt really any tubo lag from its low pressure turbo but it's set up for torque not absolute power. Where the GTi's standard XU lump is set up to be a high revving lump with virtually no fly wheel so that it can get to high revs quickly, the Activa's is set up to be smooth and give a nice solid power through out the rev range.

As you are well aware Jim the GTi doesnt do stop start town driving too well as its set up for nice back road blasts. This would not be accepterble in the Citroen so the engine is set up accordingly...

However the alloy Mi16 lump as found in the 405 and BX is another matter. I love both the cars the engine originally came in (it was also used in a 309 GTi 16 on the contenent) came in but it's an engine set up for competion the 16 valve head allowed the already manic engine to rev even higher and produced more power (160bhp ish). Im not saying I would cut up a good BX or 405 Mi16 for the engine (I would love either car as they are), but for those using the 205 GTi for competion who have got as far as they can with the 8 valve XU then the Mi16 makes more sense.

Let me know what you think.

This is quite interesting tho....

However I like my Pug just how it is...original. The 1.6 115bhp all alloy XU is a wonderful lump in the light weight little Peugeot.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A very sensible attitude Chris, IMO.

The major objection tearing an Activa apart for the engine is that the car is very special and there are dwindling numbers of them available, while as you have noted there are more suitable engines easily available from less 'special' donors.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

We need to get an Activa/Xantia meet up like that...
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris Hughes
My Cars:

Post by Chris Hughes »

XantiaMan583 wrote:We need to get an Activa/Xantia meet up like that...
Ahh that was for the Peugeot Sport Official Owners Club trip last year called the Peugeot Adventure. They arrage one big trip evey year. The photos with the cars all lined up were taken at the old grand prix circuit near Reims. It's now abandened and the main straight is now a main road. We also went through Paris which was interesting in a convoy of 30 cars 27 of them 205 GTi's. There was also a visit to the factory and museum at Mulhouse. It was an awesome trip. You should arrange a Xantia Activa one, it would be quite mad having a string of them blasting down the motorway.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

XantiaMan583 wrote:We need to get an Activa/Xantia meet up like that...
It appears that the DS / SM rally will have a few turning up. 8)
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.