106 MB3 auto...which ATF> Dex II or Dex III

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

106 MB3 auto...which ATF> Dex II or Dex III

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hi, could somebody let me know the correct grade ATF for the MB3 auto as fitted to the saxo and 106.

See my other post regarding the box issues. The box has now been replaced, and final fitting is taking place tomorrow, so need to obtain the correct grade ATF for it.

Citrojim suggested it is Dextron III, but the factors said it's Dextron II, so I am a little confused, and don't want to put the wrong ATF in.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Rob,

Dexron III is just a more modern version of Dexron II and is fully backward compatible so basically, either...

Dex III and Dex II can also be mixed without issues according to the Spec. Sheet here.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

You are a star citrojim!! Thank you. fitted the new gearbox now. Didn't have enough Dex II and no Dex III today. So although adjusted everything so the engine was running, we didn't try the box as we had only put 2.5 litres in it, and the level was not showing on the box dip stick with the engine running. Didn't want to risk anything by trying to drive it.

I still want to have a look inside the old unit, at some point.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Although the official line from GM is that all dexron grades are backwards compatable with the previous marks, from what I've seen in a few places thats not entirely ture.

I dont know what autobox the saxo or 106 has, but would suspect its a ZF one like the cits..

check these links.

--this one discussing dexron 2 vs 3 in general

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showth ... ght=dexron

This a very good article about the 4HP14/18/20 gearbox

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/images ... evrons.pdf

And this about the 4hp20

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showth ... ight=4HP20

I've stuck with the french car specifi links, but theres discussions about dexron 2 vs 3 on a few jap car forums too. jap cars being my other love.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for the links Sid, makes interesting reading :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
solorider

Post by solorider »

autodata say dextron II with a capacity of 2.5 litres.
as to the box being ZF i would not assume the fluid being the same across the range,i used to work for a daewoo/chevrolet dealer where a car with a ZF autobox had dextron II filled up,the box failed a few months later as the correct fluid was something completly different and only available from esso