307 low temp

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

307hdi110
My Cars:

307 low temp

Post by 307hdi110 »

Hello. I have a 2007 307 hdi 110 and the water tem has dropped to 70 degree's. It used to run at 80 degree's. I have checked with 4 other people who drive 307's with the same engine & all there's run at 80 degree's. The car has covered 70,000 miles & has always been serviced. Since the drop in temp, i have noticed that the car isn't doing as many miles as before. any idea's. Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The first port of call has to be the thermostat. It sould like it might be sticking open or partially open.

Is the engine taking longer to warm up than previously and the heater not so effective, taking longer to give warm air?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
307hdi110
My Cars:

Post by 307hdi110 »

Thanks for the quick response. The car warms up quite quickly, but then i live in sticks so im getting up to good speeds quickly so i think that helps. The heater seems ok too. The car will warm to about 75, then drop to 70 & stays there unless im in heavy traffic
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, the fact it climbs to 75 quickly and then drops back to 70 means the thermostat is working as the small rise just before it drops back shows it's remaining closed until a temperature is reached and then it's opening as signified by the small drop.

An engine running too cool (especially a diesel, which is a true heat engine) will sap power and ecomomy.

Likely it's become tired and is opening too soon. It is often how they go.

Swap it (no idea how hard it is on a 307) and hopefully that'll sort the issue.

If not, it'll be worh a quick diagnostic session to check the gauge is telling the truth and looking for other causes. It may be a duff cooolant temperature sensor which, in turn will give duff information to the engine mamagement and again this may cause a fall in performance and economy if the management thinks the engine is cooler than it really is. The sensor is tested by seeing what diagnostics say and comparing that with a thermometer monitoring the actual coolant temperature.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
307hdi110
My Cars:

Post by 307hdi110 »

Thanks for that. I'll change that as soon as i can. thanks for all your help
307hdi110
My Cars:

Post by 307hdi110 »

Sorry to bother you again. Can you tell me where the thermostat is located. I had a look & the 2 hoses from the radiator go to the right hand side of the engine into what looks like a black casing. There is a green electrical connection ( is this the sender ? ) Thanks agian for your help