Damn Car! MOT Failed. National Tyres Incompetance?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Damn Car! MOT Failed. National Tyres Incompetance?

Post by OwenP »

Right I took the 405 to National Tyres this morning for its MOT.

Got a phone call from them about midday telling me that it had failed on a few things: Headlights aimed too low, (I reckon I'd left the manual adjust wound down, silly me forgot to check). Front brake pipes excessively corroded, one rear pipe same, and the rear brake load sening valve was jammed. Was told that it would cost 240 for everything to be sorted, new brake pipes, free up the valve, and adjust the headlamps.

Got a phone call about 3pm, "We've done the brake lines, but we can't do the valve cause its not jammed its snapped, we can't fix that, sorry we should have spotted it during the MOT" or words to the same effect. Was told that it would be a main dealer job to fix.

Phone my local main stealer who want £250 to supply and fit the load valve.

I can get a local garage to fit it for £40 if I can source one. So a couple of questions:

1) Anyone suggest a good place to get a rear brake load sensing valve for a 405 estate (preferably less than the £83+VAT that the main dealer wants)? Going to try the online breakers yard search engines and see what they turn up.

2) Have I got any grounds for a complaint against National Tyres, for not spotting the actual fault in the first place or for not contacting me when they realised that they were not going to be able to get the car road legal again without giving me a say in what I wanted them to do based on new information?

Cheers for your help guys.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Ebay is good for 405 parts, new and used. Lots of cars being broken, and lots of old stock being off loaded. Set of front brake pipes for mine was £8 brand new :D
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the answer is dont go to a tyre place for an MOT, they are mostly out to make a killing,

have you tried GSF or any good local factors for a new valve, as im sure it is not just main dealer,

i certaily would not use a second hand one

regards malcolm
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I went for nationa tyres, partly due to 50% off the MOT from work and also because I'm starting to run out of other garages that haven't f****d up in the past in the local area.

GSF didn't seem to have the part, haven't tried the local factors as they were shut by the time I finished work last night, will give them a ring when they open this morning.

Edit: Just checked ebay, doesn't seem to be any on there either.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Regarding finding a problem with the pipes, but not spotting the problem with the load sense valve, does show incompetence.

It appears too much attention has been paid to the pipes, and not enough to the other components in the braking system.

Have a look at this to see what they are required to check, and how they are meant to do it, it's all very clear, and it is the procedure that they should follow.

There are several sections that cover that load sensing valve.....

They have seen the problem as detailed in section J.

Although they should have considered it under the criteria listed in D & E.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

They did find a problem with it, but told me the wrong problem. I was told the valve was jammed and would just need cleaning and greasing to free up.

When they had then finished the rest of the work they told me actually no its not stuck it broken. We can't fix it either.

Those sections do make it seem fairly obvious that they should have spotted the real problem first off. Think I may be writing that letter after all, perhaps cc'ing it to VOSA?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

They should have determined the fault with it initially, and not be guessing about it.

You have the right to appeal, and details about how to do that are here.
ACTIVA

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe they brock it off whilst trying to free it off, whooooops never mind the customer will pay for a new one, ( it's not my car guv!!!!!!!!!)

regards malcolm
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Maybe they did. I won't be going back there again. Everytime a use a garage more than once I seem to end up being disatisfied with the result, are my standard too high or are they mostly a bunch of cowboys? I've only found one that I actually trust so far, unfortunately they are a bit far away to et to around working schedules.

The AA service centre up the road would charge about 140 ish to do the job, but seemed a bit surprised when it told them the story, they have offered to have a quick look on the ramp first, may well take them up on that on monday morning.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

GSF list one there part No. T65384 and in the 06 catalouge price is 58 squid +vat this is to fit 405's from 87 to 95

regards malcolm

ps.

are the AAAAA service centres any better that exhaust shops????
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

citronut, thats a great help at least I now have a proper name as well, to use on the findapart type sites, price has gone up a bit since 06, its now 73+VAT even so thats better than main dealer.

Not sure if the AA places are any better, might use the local garage again, afterall the only thing that put me off him was them not checking the tracking after doing the track rods. It isn't fun driving when the steering wheel is 90 degrees out.

Will try the other local garage as well and get a quote from him, not used him yet so may be OK for a go.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

citronut wrote:maybe they brock it off whilst trying to free it off, whooooops never mind the customer will pay for a new one, ( it's not my car guv!!!!!!!!!)

regards malcolm
Yes, too much of this PTB does go on!

It would be too honest to admit to a mistake.
ACTIVA

OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I have finally got all the bits sorted on the car, taking it for the re-test in the morning, however I've just been looking at the VOSA website. What does this line tell you guys?

"Brake load sensing valve linkage defective (3.6.F.3)"

Does that say jammed or broken? To me that says broken.

I'm going to be writing a letter of complaint to the head office of national tyres for not diagnosing the fault properly, but should I be complaing to about them lying through their teeth and misleading me instead? Didn't help that they didn't give me the english copy of the fail certificate and I've only just thought to look it up.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no as valve linkage defective dose mean anything wrong with it which stops it doing its job
regards malcolm