306 petrol tickover and gremlins abundant

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ciderheadz1

306 petrol tickover and gremlins abundant

Post by ciderheadz1 »

Hi All, recently aquired a 1.4 306 of 1998 vintage.Seems to have a few worrying gremlins as follows:
Wont tickover but revs and runs fine at higher rpms
Both fans and aircon seems to turn itself on when engine runs even from cold (unsure if it is related to the first problem)
Also has the usual wiring trouble to the doors (mirrors and windows not working)
Any ideas where to start looking to cure the first two problems and do you think they may be connected?
Here's hoping you can help...Cheers .
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if your car has an idle control stepper motor i would check this first,

the rad??? fan might be someone has linked the terminals to the fan sender plug, (fan sendor attatched to radiator) in which case the fix will be fit a new sendor, remove the link and fit the plug back onto the new sendor

door electrics is probably fractured wires which run between the door and car body, if your car has the large round plug conectoers at this point you can buy a repair piece from peugeot, which is the plug with abunch of tails (wires) for the body section of loom that you cut and patch into the piller loom, the part is around 57 squid each side

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citronut wrote: if your car has the large round plug conectoers at this point you can buy a repair piece from peugeot, which is the plug with abunch of tails (wires) for the body section of loom that you cut and patch into the piller loom, the part is around 57 squid each side

regards malcolm
£57 ??? :shock: If its the same round connectors as on the xsara & ZX doors you can buy the terminals that go in the plugs for about 39p each (part no 96033410), you normally have to buy a bag of 20 though. You can then just replace the individual broken wires.

Contrary to what the parts departments will tell you you can get about 90% of the plugs,connectors & terminals on citroens & pugs seperately form buying a complete harness. You generally cant look this stuff up in citroen service thats probably why they dont realise. They should have a big book about the size of a telephone book under the counter with all this kind of stuff in it.