106 Auto not selecting gears correctly ALL SORTED... ALMOST!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chances are Rob, with another 'box fitted that it'll drive OK but if it remains stuck in third emergency there will be no problem at all in carefully driving to the nearest place to have the ECU read and reset.

I'd drive very carefully though as the TC will be slipping well to get the ting moving in such a high gear and there will be lots of heat generated as a result. Easy does it, no worries :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Have an update on this now finally.

After much head scratching , we finally tracked down a gear box from the local scrap yard!! (one on ebay sold before we could buy it)Walked in and the first car to clap eyes on was a 106 XL auto from the same year with 42k on the clock. Been rear ended!!! Perfect spot of luck there, the guy said he drove it in and it drove fine, so bought the box and the ecu, and after about 15 hours of work got the old box out and the new one in. Still need to finish as not quite back on 4 wheels yet, but it will be finished later in the week, so I'll report on the result once we can drive it.

On removing the old box discovered a few things, which suggested that Jim you were spot on with the diagnosis. The coolant was a deep red/brown colour and had the smell of ATF in it. The box had been replaced before with a 2nd hand unit from a saxo, (it had writting on it from the breakers it was bought from!!!) On removoving the near side drive shaft, it had mayonaise in the gaitor!!!! Not good, and so basically the box is scrap. I just wonder if the oil cooler failed, and the previous owner replaced the gear box itself, but not the oil cooler, leading the replacement box to fail in the same way again?? I can't see another reason as to why a car with a genuine 22k on the clock has now got through at least 3 gear boxes.

I think we have tried to hedge our bets as much as possible, and have replaced everything associated with the gear box and the box, in the hope of a permanent fix.

I'll let you know the outcome, once we have finished connecting it all back up, and taken it on a test drive.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Quick question related to this, what ATF should go in the box. The factors suggested it is Dextron II for this box which is MB311, can anyone confirm this or tell me if it should be Dextron III as the factors didn't seem to have that?? I know jim s douggested it should be Dextron III which is why I am a little confused, as I not want to put the incorrect ATF in the box and risk damage to the replacement unit.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Finally got to put the extra ATF in yesterday, and now the little pug drives like it always should have!!!! (Almost)

She selects 1st 2nd and 3rd gears smoothly and drives brilliantly now which is such a relief.

There is only 1 problem that remains, and that is the lack of kick down.

I think it is due to the throttle position sensor, as this was flagged as not correct and the dealer previously had tried to get the ECU to 'relearn' the throttle position but failed.

I know Citrojim was brilliant with the wiring diagrams and so I am assuming it is down to that sensor on the other end of the butterfly on the throttle body.

I did get the sensor off the donor cars engine, but the throttle body is obviously different as the sensor is not the same. This car has a Solex throttle body.

If we were to get a new sensor does anyone know if the car should then just pick up it is now working and the ECU then adapt, or would it still need dealer intervention with the DIAG2000 or does anyone think that it could be something different, and is it worth trying anything with the existing sensor, as my concern is it doesn't look very 'serviceable'!?!?!

Thanks again.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90