Peugeot 206 gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

green un

Peugeot 206 gearbox

Post by green un »

hello all, i have a Peugeot 206 1.4 v reg and the gearbox is making a clicking noise when backing of the throttle, when pulling away and driving it dont make this noise only when backing of.
i am thinking the gearbox is due for a change but thought i would post here to see if there is anyone who has had the same problem and if there is a easy fix(without changing the box).
also if it does need a box do i have to get one from a Peugeot 206 1.4cc or are there other cars i can get one from i.e citroen?? and does it have to be a 1.4??
sorry for all the questions on my first post but i have asked all my local breakers and they wasnt that helpfull, so atm i am stuck on what to do.
oh the clicking noise is pretty loud.

thanx in advance.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

the clicking could be your clutch presure plate fingers are /have worn through, were the thrust bearing runs against them, as these gear box's dont usualy click,

they usualy have a noisy reverse gear (bearing noise),

and yes these gear box's should interchange between like for like models, across the cit/pug models,

years ago i fitted a VISA box to a talbot samba, to it for a drive along the tip accsess road, and the speedo reached a ton when we were only going about 30/40 MPH, even though both car ran the same size tyres

regards malcolm
green un

Post by green un »

thanx for the reply, the car did have a brand new clutch p/plate and bearing about 6 months ago, could it have still worn through.
i hope so :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is possible in thatr time if it has been run over adjusted, as this puts to much load on the thrust bearing, was it a reputable company fitted the new clutch, they might have used a sub standered clutch kit to maximize there profits

regards malcolm
green un

Post by green un »

to be honest it was me who changed the clutch, all brand new but i wouldnt say it was a costly cluch just a cheapo job to get it back on the road.
i think i might pull the box of tomorow and investigate.
it does sound like you explained though, something catching, like a lollypop stick in your spokes on your bmx. lol
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Cant believe its your clutch doing this.

have you checked the obvious : oil level on the gearbox ?

Also check if you have secured the RHS (long) driveshaft support bearing.
If this has just been pushfitted into the bearing housing, the driveshaft will move in/out the diff unit and make a ticking/rattling sound.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
green un

Post by green un »

thanx again for replies, the oil level is ok, it sounds like that clicking noise a drive shaft makes when the cv is shot, but it only makes the noise when i back of the throttle when going up the gears its ok no noise, also when coasting you can here it slightly but not loud like when going down the gears.
i thought cv but wouldnt it make this noise all the time? i remember the longer shaft it was a pain to get back in iirc. but it has drove fine after the new clutch went in. i was going up a m-way slip road and heard a knock then the noise appered :?

sorry for most of my stupid questions but i didnt want to change the gearbox to find out it wasnt that.
thanx all
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when you droped your gear box how fare did you disasemble the O/S drive shaft, as the only time i have seen thesre shaft beeing hard to re/fit is when they have been bent whilst someone has removed a gear box without releasing the intermediate bearing from its houseing,

if this is the case you might have damaged the diff on re/fitting this shaft, as you say it was hard to relocate

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
green un

Post by green un »

hi malcolm im in the west midlands, if i remember right one of the shafts was hard to get back in, i will pop my head under the car just to recap my memory, lol. i know a cv is knackerd as it clicks on full lock, but this sound just seems weird as it aint there when im on the throttle.
if a cv has broke down i.e the balls come of inside would this vibrate through the car?

cheers
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Just wondering whether this problem was ever sorted. My 1.4 ltr 8v petrol 206 box is doing EXACTLY the same. Clicks on over-run but not on acceleration. Clicking remains, but is much quieter, when coasting out of gear. I have no knowledge of when the clutch was changed ( if ever ) but it is a bit fierce and juddery when pulling off in 1st and sometimes when changing up from 1st into 2nd. Reverse gear also crunches although I can stop this by partially engaging the gearstick just enough to feel the internals of the gearbox slowing down and when they stop I can select with no crunch at all - if that makes sense

Any idea what grade of gear oil I should be using for this box ( 2003 model )

Thanks

Gammy
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I'm quite interested to see the outcome of this, as my old 306 was doing this. It was the main reason I got fid of it as the noise was getting louder.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
danielhawkes
My Cars:

Gearbox...

Post by danielhawkes »

I can say with some certianty this is the gearbox, dont remember the exact component but the refurb place did take the time to explain to me at the time. Appartenly its common in the 206 1.1 & 1.4 box.

I had idential symptoms to those described and swapped the box for a recon one. An oil change may reveal a fair amount of fine metalic particles on the magnetic sump plug (if fitted).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I would assume it's a problem in the diff. In my forays into the MA the diff really does seem to be the weak point. The sun and planet gears wear badly and the crownwheel has a tendency to spin free of the diff housing. It's just shrunk on to it.

Reverse idlers are weak. Their teeth get very badly worn on the engagement side. Looks like they're made of cheese.

All in all, a bit of a rubbish gearbox really. My daughter's 206 has weak synchromesh on first and I'm busy building her a new gearbox from the best of two.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

With Quaife and semi-slicks? :twisted:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:With Quaife and semi-slicks? :twisted:
What? For Robyn's shopping trolley?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...