406 rear axle problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gaz4053
My Cars:

406 rear axle problem

Post by gaz4053 »

Hope someone can help.....here goes!

I have a 406 2L HDi, 2001 model, and while it was up on the ramp getting an oil change I noticed the rear tyres were bald on the inside. They have only been on for six months or so, and haven't been on the front. I was told the axle on my car is not adjustable, as I was gonna get it 4way aligned. Looking at the back of the car, the wheels look like /--\ , though not as bad as that!

Has anyone any ideas which bushes if any need replacing? I have trawled through these forums and only found one reply applicacable, and I think it said another axle is required, but can't remember where!

Thanks in advance,

Gaz
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Gaz -

Your 406 has a quite complicated rear axle setup. Far from the usual PSA setup found on earlier models.

There is a tranverse lower arm in which the coil spring is seated.
This lower arm is fixed on the chahsis in an inner bushing and an outer bushing in the wheel hub.
Then you have an upper control arm to keep the wheel vertical and a longitudinal control arm to control the wheels heading.

Initially I'd suspect the 2 lower bushes on the large transverse arm as they carry all the side forces involved on the rear axle. They should be checked like you would check standard front triangle arms seated in rubber bushings.

No idea what price level we talk here for any repair jobs.
But from the schematic it does not look like anything can be adjusted by shims or such, meaning its a straight forward replacement of parts.
Despite the rather complicated setup, it looks very simple to dismantle and replace parts.

- Except you will have to cater for the coil springs constant pressure :shock:

Note that you may need to replace other bushes as well in the smaller control arms.
Better check the complete setup while you are there.

For reference here is my local (DK) dealer approx pricetags (exvat) on the 2 bushings suspected :
5131.80 bushing (inner) approx £12
3640.41 bushing (outer) approx £17
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
gaz4053
My Cars:

Post by gaz4053 »

Many thanks for the reply AndersDK, I will check all the bushes when I get it up on the ramp this week. What I forgot to mention is that it is an estate, whether that makes a difference or not? Just had a look at the documents and the car is a 406 Rapier HDI (90) Estate

Thanks again,

Gaz
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ok Gaz -

Just checked with peugeot.servicebox.
The 2 bushings in question are the same all models.
Cant see any differences on the setup sedan/estate.
Might be only the coil spring and damper specs that calls out for a different parts list with schematic.

Godd luck with your 406.
gaz4053
My Cars:

Post by gaz4053 »

Cheers for the info AndersDK, I will post back with any developments!

Gaz
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think your car will have a toursion bar rear axle, so will not have any coil springs, and the easyest fix is fit a complete second hand rear axle, but if it the type with coil springs is should be fixable,

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This is the 406 Estate/sedan rear axle according to servicebox Peugeot :
Imageclick to enlarge.
I am referring to item17 & item7 on the schematic.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes Anders i now of this version of 406, and also have fitted one of those bushes for a customer last year, if this is the type Gaz has yes it is viable to fix, but it would be very unusual for this type to give the problem as on this car

i have also seen toursion bar rear axles on 406 saloons

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I have no other technical sources than your workshop experiences Malcolm - and the listings found on Peugeot Servicebox.
Are you saying that it could be market specific which type rear axle setup is fitted to the 406 range ?

- as there are no other rear axle types indicated for 406 or 406restyle according to servicebox, no matter which 406model is chosen.

The 405/restyle is however the wellknown earlier torsion bar setup for all versions (except the hydraulic rear axle).
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

there again Anders
i have owned a 405 estate years ago which had a proper sprung rear axle, as it had two heavy coil springs on each end of the axle, but also i have worked on a 405 with toursion bar rear axles

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I like to keep learning, thanks Malcolm.

Please understand that I do respect your knowledge, as you are the one with hands on experience from your own garage \:D/
gaz4053
My Cars:

Post by gaz4053 »

Thanks both for helping out, the schematic that you have posted certaintly looks like it, but will check when I get it on the ramp sometime this week. Am I right in thinking that this set-up is non-adjustable? I will take a picture and upload it.

Again, thanks for the help both, it's much appreciated.

Gaz
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep non adjustable, but also this type dose not usualy suffer the rear wheel leen syndrom, that the toursion bar type dose

regards malcolm