Peugeot Expert van temperature gauge and fault light.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Peugeot Expert van temperature gauge and fault light.

Post by Stekelly »

Hi folks. I recently picked up a 97 1,9D expert van (bought very cheap from my boss :) ).

Overall it's in decent nick but there is an issue. There is a fault light on the dash thats on most of the time when driving (vaguly remember the guy who drove it before me sayign it's been like this long term) that doesnt seem to b in the manual. I have the handbook off my old Partner van and it seems to be a low coolant level indicator. (I assume it means the same on both vans). The light seems to turn on and off while driving ( I notice it out of the corner of eye, mostly when clutchign to change gear) and I aslo oticed that on a 5 mile or so drive home from collecting the van that the temperature gauge never rose off the bottom. I'm assuming the faults are related.

There doesnt seem to be any overheating issues (if there was i would have clapped out long ago)

The light is a couple of horizontal wavy lines with what looks like a resevoir on top.

Cheers for any help and suggestions.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The description certainly sounds like the low coolant warning light.

You're right, if it was low long-term, it would have clapped out long ago :lol:

The sensor for the low coolant light sits in the expansion tank and is often a reed switch opeated by a magnet sliding in a tube. They are known to be problematical sometimes if the coolant is a bit mucky. Also, if a wire to it has chafed.

I assume you've checked the coolant level...

The temperature gauge is not likely to be related. Either the thermostat has siad its farewells or the gauge sensor is duff. It's worth checking its connections by pulling the sensor connector off the sensor (located on the thermostat housing) as sometimes coolant penetrates the connector and corrodes it.

The gauge and circuitry can be checked by pulling the sensor connector and shorting the contacts inside to earth. If the gauge now reads very hot, the sender is dead.

Check the thermostat by starting up from cold whilst feeling the top hose. If it gradually warms, the thermostat is duff. If it remains cold and then suddenly gets hot (as the thermostat opens) it's good. How effective the heater is can be a good guide too... If it stays very cool the 'stat is likely duff.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Cheers for that Jim. Will have a proper lok at the weekend when I can do it in the daylight.
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

http://s433.photobucket.com/albums/qq51 ... sensor.jpg

I assume this is the right part I'm looking at (for the coolant level sensor) ? I took it out and cleaned the probes, but it seems to have made the situation worse. The dash light is on solid now instead of coming and going.

Haveing problems finding the part anywhere online.

Checked Valeo's web catalogue and no sign. http://www.valeoservice.com/html/united ... oduits.php

Any help os much appreciated

This the part numbers and info off the one from my van.

Valeo 73506202
12v 44.96

I normally pck myself up a Haynes manual for y cars but there isnt one for the Expert, any chance another company produces an equivelant?

EDIT. Just found it on the Peugeot service box site and its 128.89 EUR (around stg 110) . ThinkI'll leave it be for that price.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

What was the part number ? couldnt believe it was that price so did quick check on citroen service for a citroen dispatch & got part number 130689 which it about £25 + vat
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

0000130689 LEVEL DETECTOR 106.52 EUR 128.89 EUR 128.89 EUR

Thats the one I'm looking at .

Dont have the citroen service site so couldnt check there myself. Did seem awful high.
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

CitroJim wrote:
The temperature gauge is not likely to be related. Either the thermostat has siad its farewells or the gauge sensor is duff. It's worth checking its connections by pulling the sensor connector off the sensor (located on the thermostat housing) as sometimes coolant penetrates the connector and corrodes it.
Only getting a chance to get back to this now.

I ordered a new sensor online. Only problem is when it arrived the probe was longer than the one I took out. Thread width and the plug were the same but it's not working right. When I turn the key to the 2nd setting in the ignition (the settign before starting the van) the temperature guage shows the right temp. I checked it a few times after various lenghts of havign had the van running.The issue is that when I then start the van the guage drops right down to where it sits when the van is off and doesnt come back up at all.

I havnt had the van runnign long enough to see does the fan kick in but am I right in guessign that it wont know when to kick in if the sensor is faulty and it doesnt know what temperature it is (except when just the electrics are on :-) ) or does it work independently?