405, Fitting CD Player

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

405, Fitting CD Player

Post by evilally »

Ok, so I took out the old cassette deck to replace it with a second hand Panasonic CD player that I got. The existing headunit seems to have had steering column controls added at some point. It didn't come this way from the factory I don't think, as the hole for the stalk looks home made.

Anyway there were 3 connector blocks at the back of the old headunit. The ISO wiring harnesses I've been looking at for Panasonics only seem to have 2 connector blocks. Is the missing one for the steering column controls? I would have thought Panasonic would have supported these?
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think you might find your remote stalk is factory-fitted!

It's rarely possible to plug the remote directly into an aftermarket unit. You would need to buy an adapter, usually in two parts, one to plug into the existing remote and one to plug into the head unit.

It's only quite recently that aftermarket head units have had remote capability so it's possible that your one doesn't. If there are no unused connections the chances are it doesn't.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Thanks, I think it is an older one, so you are probably right. I'll get the cable ordered up tonight.

The hole where the remote stalk is really looks ham fisted. What might have happened is someone has fitted a new steering wheel surround that doesn't have the hole for the stalk, and had to drill it themselves. I know the steering wheel has been off at some stage. The car did have a lot of botches when I got it!
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.