New 406 1.9TD owner - questions and concerns

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:I suspect this car had a replacement engine
Richard, you are dead right! By the looks of it, that is a replacement, much earlier engine. You can tell by the spring clips on the cambelt covers for one thing.

The pump is indeed a mechanical VP20 Hibbo but someone has put a VP20-AS3 load pot on top of it that is doing nothing and have also put a Needle Lift Sensor Injector in and connected it but it'll be doing nothing at all of course as the pump lacks the timing control electrovalve. Nor is the Needle Lift Sensor except perhaps helping to run 9and confuse) the tacho. The tacho can run from either the TDC sensor or the Needle Lift but normally from the TDC sensor.

Thast age of engine should also have had the waxstat type fast idle control. It explains now why the original vacuum operated fast idle cable could not be connected.

It's OK to run like that and in fact can be made good but work is needed. I've done a temporary transplant of a mechanical pump in place of an AS3 in the past with good results. You can in fact dispense with the load pot on top of the pump, leave the pump connectors disconnected (except for the stoop solenoid of course) and all will be fine but I'd say from the running problems you describe, trhe pump needs its timing checked. Timing on a diesel is very critical. It can be done by ear by rotating the pump until it just starts to knock and backing off a tad. The ECU has to stay in place to operate the tacho and the glowplug control unit. Defeat the Engine management Light by removing the bulb!

Best, in the long run, would be to source an AS3 pump and fit it but you will need to have it de-armoured to defeat the immobiliser or get one complete with keypad and a known code.

Before that though, how well does it start? Any smoke on startup and what colour is it? Does it sound a bit quiet for a diesel? Quiet running is a sure sign of retarded timing.

To defeat EGR, locate the valve on the exhaust manifold. It's on the right hand side (as you look under the bonnet) and looks like a little lantern. Pull off and plug the vacuum hose. Mind you, the engine, being early, would not have had EGR originally so it may not even have a valve. In which case the vacuum pipe may be there dangling, open, leaking vacuum and thus upsetting the brake servo.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hibbo
My Cars:

Post by Hibbo »

Thanks Jim (and Richard), I did think the engine looked a bit old for an S plate.

The thing is, it starts perfectly. First turn with no smoke or hunting. It's certainly not quiet; it's a bit on the clattery side, but I wouldn't say it's knocking. I'm just confused as to why these problems don't manifest themselves all the time... especially if the timing's out :?

Does it not need the load pot to increase fueling as the boost builds?

I am not bothered about having an older engine/pump setup, as long as I can get the thing to run. I may well just cut my losses if I can find something else at the auctions on Sunday. Chalk it down to experience eh? :roll: :oops:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hibbo wrote: Does it not need the load pot to increase fueling as the boost builds?
No, the Load Pot only varies AS3 timing via the ECU depeandant on load. The overfuelling under heavy load/high boost is carried out in the pump by sensing turbo boost via the small rubber pipe from the top of the overfuel device (the thing that looks a bit like a UFO on top of the pump) to the inlet manifold. This pipe often perishes and leaks, upsetting boost sensing.

Then check all of your turbo hoses are tight, secure and not leaky. Any leaks on the turbo hoses anywhere can upset performance terribly, as can a clogged air filter and a clogged exhaust.

Another thing to check is that the exhaust manifold and turbo outlet to the exhaust is good and gastight as any leaks here can kill boost. If you do have an EGR valve stuck open, that can cause low boost, as can a jammed/tampered with turbo waste gate.

Generally, these things account for about 99% of XUD9 problems.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hibbo
My Cars:

Post by Hibbo »

Well I've solved all my problems, I've just bought this for 300quid at auction:

MOTed till next September too! :D although it is a p-e-t-r-o-l! :shock:

I now need to decide how much to do to the 406 before I offload it. I will advertise it honestly as I know exactly what it feels like to be the mug.

I am really really confused as to what's causing all this smoking as it cycles in and out on a whim. Ironically it behaved itself perfectly on the way to the auctions this afternoon.

Anyone interested in a 406 requiring a bit of TLC.....? :?