406 seats

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

406 seats

Post by Peter.N. »

I am toying with the idea of getting a 2.1 406 estate as a second car to my XM, the problem is I find the seats uncomfortable, they are very short compared with the XM ones and even the later Peugeot ones, does anyone know if there are more comfortable seats that can be fitted. possibly from a later Peugeot?

Thanks

Peter.N.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The leather Executive seats are OK.

My son has a 2.1TD 406 and it's great in all but one respect. It has those rather odd curly metal springy things on it and not a drop of LHM in sight anywhere.

Seriously Peter, if you have not driven a tin-sprung car for a long time, it's going to come as a terrible shock and surprise just how different it all feels. You may not like it very much.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Jim

At the moment I have two XM's or three if you count my sons which is on semi permanent loan :lol:

The only reason that I am thinking of changing one is that of servicability. I'm getting a bit long in the tooth now and dont bend as easily as I used to, so I thought that at least one simpler car might reduce the hassle.

A friend of mine has a 1.9 Executive but I still find the seats a bit short and its under powered, I think the 2.1 would be better (and you know what I think about the engines) I will have to try it again when he comes down.

Peter.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have a look at the 2.1TD Xantia before going for a 406 Peter. These, in my experience, once the bugs are out, are as reliable as the day is long and need only the simplest of TLC to keep in top order.

Get a VSX or Exclusive Xantia Estate and you'll have some gorgeous leather seats and hydropneumatic suspension. They seem bigger than the leathers in a 406 and are very comfy, offering an almost infinite range of adjustment options which can pose a problem in itself. It takes days to find your own favourite "sweet spot", there are so many adjustments!

I can comfirm the 2.1TD 406 goes very, very well indeed. After enjoyng a 2.1TD for a long time, you'll always find the 1.9TD a bit lacking at low revs. It has a totally different character to the 2.1TD.

I should state, apart from the lack of hydropneumatic syspension, the 406 is a very, very fine car and for me, that is the only thing wrong with it. Excellent in every other respect.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Jim

I had considered a Xantia before but came to the conclusion that if I was going to endure the complexity of hydropnumatic suspension I would rather have the additional space that the XM offers which in some areas makes the XM easier to work on than the Xantia. It was the relative simplicity of the 406 that appealed to me.

All things considered I will probably stick with the XMs all the while I am able to repair them.

Thanks for all your suggestions anyway.

Peter.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Spring suspension is simpler???
Give me spheres you can renew in 15 minutes any day :D

The engine bay on a 406 is not designed with the mechanic in mind.
While the Xantia has plenty of flat spaces, some even with sectioning walls (like above the headlights), the 406 doesn't, so you'll also need somewhere to keep your nuts and bolts etc that you remove.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

My 406 is great, thought its a 2lt turbo petrol and not a diesel.

The seats are very comfy too, (leather ones) loads of settings, the engine bay isn't that bad with plenty of places to keep your nuts and bolts (top of the rad for one :P)

Cant comment on fixing anything in the engine bay as haven't had to do any work on the old girl yet. which is more than i could say for the Xantia.

Though saying that, every car pool has its good ones and its bad ones, i find its luck of the draw but with the 406 the D8 (old faced one) is more reliable than the D9 (new faced one).

But i will say one thing, regardless of what car you go for, check how many owners its had, if its had a lot there must be a reason why? also check the service history too, as it will tell you if a lot has been done to it.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Breedsey
My Cars:

Post by Breedsey »

On the subject of seats, will the seats out of a saloon fit in an estate?
I guess the fronts are the same but how about the back?
GSB

Post by GSB »

If you go for the 406 executive with leather, they did change the seat design I believe in Mar 98
DaiRees
My Cars:

Post by DaiRees »

Breedsey wrote:On the subject of seats, will the seats out of a saloon fit in an estate?
I guess the fronts are the same but how about the back?
You're right, the backs are totally different mate.
406 2.0 HPi Exec Estate

http://www.406oc.co.uk
v8disco

Post by v8disco »

I found the cloth seats of my Y reg 406 GTX HDi probably the most comfortable of any car I have ever driven, and, to be honest, more comfortable than the large leather seats in my current Volvo V70.

Although the 406 front seats seemed to be quite short, and I am 6ft 1, I was able to drive non stop the 720 miles from Woking to Munich in 12 hours (on 3/4 of a tank of diesel as well) and get out with absolutely no aches and pains so there must be some support in there.

Martin
Breedsey
My Cars:

Post by Breedsey »

DaiRees wrote:
You're right, the backs are totally different mate.

Cheers, i guess i'll have to find an estate to rob the seats from when the time comes.