405 key plip and ecu queery

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ciderheadz1

405 key plip and ecu queery

Post by ciderheadz1 »

Hi all the plip fell to bits on my 1993 405, I rebuilt it and the red light still comes on and it has new batteries installed.It was working prior to the centre falling out due to usual problem of no centre rubber in the plip case but now no longer works.The key problem also coincided with when the main battery was disconnected for mechanical work.What I need to know is can the plip be tested (the red light still comes on)will the battery disconnection affect the plip.if the plip is dead will a new plip have to come with the ecu as a pair and if so where is the ecu located in the car?
During my research i read that a 405 plip can not be reprogrammed and has to come with the ecu? Would this be correct?
I really miss the plip and would like to have it working again.
Thanks all.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Hi,
I'm no expert on the 405 but I don't think the 1993 405 had an ECU.
I believe that the system is the Infra Red type & the plip has to be matched to the Infra Red receiver which is located in the roof console.

Disconnecting the car battery for a time shouldn't cause the plip to stop working (it never did on my Citroen ZX which I believe uses the same system as your car)

Maybe the plip is damaged in some way, could be a dry joint on the circuit board of it.

Have a look >> HERE << & try following the instructions for the 306...you never know it may just work.

Good luck.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Im not too sure on the plip problem, but if it does come to getting another one im sure the programming process is the same as the series 1 Xantia. With this its a case of turning the ignition on with one key and pressing the plip button of the other key several time next to the infra red reciever.

Take a look at the last post here:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21069
This explains it better than me.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It will probably be like the mk1 saxos, you either need to buy the plip & reciever as a pair or buy it pre programed to the 5 digit code on the reciever or plip, you cant buy the plips blank & program them.
To check if there is an output from the plip point it at a digital camera & press the button & you should see light being emitted from it.