306 steering rack play.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ed
My Cars:

306 steering rack play.

Post by Ed »

I have an old 306 diesel, and I've noticed very bad outside tyre wear to the nearside front. Recently I have felt play in the steering. I jacked the car up and could feel side to side play in this wheel. I seperated the track arm from the hub and was able to push and pull the arm in and out of the rack by a few mm, and could hear a dull thud. I take it this is my problem, or should there be a little play here?

Any other tests I can do before I waste a weekend fitting a new power steering rack? Any advice on the actual rack change also appreciated.
Ed
My Cars:

Post by Ed »

I've just discovered the track arms have a ball joint at each end. I know the outer one is good so hopefully I'll peel back the gaiter to find its just the inner balljoint that is the culprit.

Anyone had any experience of these track rod arm inner ball joints?
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

The last steering rack I had apart was on a 1965 Lotus Elan so this may be totally useless. The inner ball joint has a cup nut, for want of a better word, holding in contact with the rack. This nut screws onto the rack and is tightened up onto shims. The thickness of the shims decides the "end float" on the ball joint. The cup nut usually has a locking tab to stop it becoming loose.

You may be lucky, it may be a case of removing some shims to eliminate the play (but still leaving the arm free to move in all directions).

A few millimetres does sound rather a lot of play, though.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
Ed
My Cars:

Post by Ed »

Thanks MJM,

I have since been under the rack and noticed leaking of fluid too, so think I may aswell just replace the whole rack and be done with it.

Otherwise I reckon I could have solved it in the way you have described.