Sticky Handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Sticky Handbrake

Post by OwenP »

Hey Guys,

I've been having some problems recently with the right rear not releasing properly after the car has been sitting on the handbrake for a while, or after heavy rain. Normally I can rock the car slightly and the wheel will release.

However yesterday that didn't work I just ended up dragging the tyre along the road. Eventually got the wheel to release by starting to pull away with the handbrake partially engaged.

Any suggestions on how to cure this more effectively? Both short term to get the car going and more long term to stop it happening.

The handbrake is always on quite hard as the car is parked on quite a hill and it won't hold otherwise. The brakes should still be good as I have done relatively little mileage since the MOT (maybe 1000 miles tops) and nothing was said at the time.

Cheers
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Owen,

That'll be your cables calling it a day. Not hard to replace at all. Most likely the outer sheaths have split, let inthe wet, rusted and will have seized up. A very common problem.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...