tips / experiences changing lucas pump for bosch

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fodtommo
My Cars:

tips / experiences changing lucas pump for bosch

Post by fodtommo »

I just thought id relate some of the experiences of doing this as there its lots written on the subject so I thought I might suggest some tips. the usual:

1 - allow 3 days in case your set the fuel pump 3 teeth out...(see my previous post!)

2 - Take the pump off another vehicle THAT YOU KNOW WAS WORKING WELL it helps eliminate any probs with the injectors etc when you come to set it up, not off the scrappys shelf! Change the cradle as well as the pump and mark the pumps position on the cradle in 2 or 3 places to make sure you keep the correct timing.

3 - Change injectors and pipes (we all know this)

The tips that no one told me:

1 - If you have a very late model 405 or anything with a keypad immobiliser. read the following carefully. There is an electrical black box on the back of the pump that controls the stop solenoid and is connected to the immobiliser.

This foxed me to start with as when it is disconnected all the lights on the keypad come on and it dosnt work! you start to think the worse...

After some teeth sucking I realised that the key pad worked when the old pump was plugged in.

Therefore you have to drill out about 8 shear bolts on the armour plating lucas put round their more recent pumps, remove the black box, cutting the wires at he stop solenoid - Ignore the 3rd one - it appears to have no use an the bosch pump.

It takes around hour to get all the shear bolts off.

Cut the wires for the stop solenoid on the bosch pump and join to the ones for the stop solenoid to the ones coming off the lucas immobiliser pack .

Cable tie the whole lot to the bracket at the rear of the pump - bingo key pad works.

2 - the fuel return pipe will need lengthening.

3 - get some new leak off pipe! the old stuff will not be reusable.

4 - the cold start actuator cable is much shorther on the bosch, it can be trimmed down, but I would take the one off the other car that is the right length.

I hope this helps anyone thinking of doing it!!!

Oh yeah and if youve read my previous post double and triple chack your timing!!!!!
Last edited by fodtommo on 29 Jul 2008, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Tom :D Thanks for posting this.

You learn something new every day... I never knew any 405s had keypad immobilisers with mechanical pumps :?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good post Tom :)
citroen7
My Cars: 73 stag,86 bx gt 89 bxgti 90 bxgti 4x4 91 metor auto 97 p38 2004 c5 2.0 vtr 2006 c5 estate 1.6

Post by citroen7 »

i was just about to put a post up about the different wiring on an engine with a lucas pump compared to a bosch as i am in the process of swaping engines,the new engine has 2 connectors compared to one on the old
is there anything else i should look out for?
fodtommo
My Cars:

Post by fodtommo »

not really other than i listed here.

Basically, assuming that both pumps are mechanical units (not semi electronic) then the only electrical function required by a bosch pump is the operation of the stop solenoid. Therefore I would cut the wires from the solenoid on the lucas pump and attach as described above.

The nice thing about doing it this way is that it saves chopping the cars loom up and keeps the wiring as it was before. In my experience chopping into looms in any car causes problems- much easier if your mod is limited to one connector at the stop solenoid.