Help me changed the pumps... problems... aargh

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fodtommo
My Cars:

Help me changed the pumps... problems... aargh

Post by fodtommo »

Hi

advice please!!

I have just swapped the lucas pump on my 96 4051.9dt for a bosch one that came off a car in excellent running order. I also changed the injectors and pipes as required. cradle and pump were changed and marked.

The car starts ok (although it feels like it is firing ahead of itself when it catches if that makes sense!!) but is very noisy - like hammering metal. It lacks power and smokes like hell.

I have pulled the injectors out and 1 2 and 4 were [very sooted up. I am popping out to get them checked - but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Possibly the timing on the pump is out I think - too advaced. I need to fix it today as we need to go on holiday on saturday!!!!

Help me citroen jim!!!!!!!!!!!!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Fod, you could check if a tooth out , I am assuming you locked the pump sprocket to head before removing pump?

TDC using 6mm drill bit in hole under starter, then check alignment of bolt holes in pump and camshaft with holes in head..

it could be pump timing, rotating left or right slightly may make a big difference to smoke and noise..

um

Jim...

;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, just sounds like the timing is well over-advanced from your description.

Glad you swapped cradle, pipes and injectors complete. A mix of Lucas/Bosch will never run properly.

Timing on a diesel is very critical. Do as John suggests and check the basic mechanical timing is in order as it is so easy to end up a tooth or two out. If still wrong, rotate the pump fully forward on its mounts to fully retard it and slowly rotate it to advance it until it sounds about right. The engine will sound rather quiet and will develop very little power when running fully retarded. It'll also smoke a bit too.

As you swapped the cradles, the timing should not be far out. Often, even if you forgot to scribe the pump to the body as a reference, you should be able to resent the timing accurately by judging the clean areas under the fixing nut washers.

After you have the timing set by ear, slacken and retighten the injector pipes to relieve stress from them. They may crack in use otherwise.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fodtommo
My Cars:

Post by fodtommo »

Thanks JIm!!

I took it all apart and rechecked the timing belt - it was 3 teeth out on the fuel pump - hence the nasty running.

I have no idea how i did this as ive changed cambelts on these engines many times before - trying to do much in one weekend before going on holiday probably!!!! :?

It is now perfect - and runs better than it ever did with the lucas pump - (in fact it is the smoothest 1.9td ive ever had), I am definately of the opinion that the bosch pump is far superior. The throttle feels much more positive, and the turbo seems to be much more responsive.

all in all a good decision in the end - and now were ready for the biodiesel :P :P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news, I'm delighted :D makes it all worthwhile.

Don't worry, it is dead easy to end up a few teeth out :twisted: I have severl times, luckily with out disaster but now I check it about six times before I'm content it's right :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...