206 - Son-in-law's woes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A reasonable price is some £50 for a warranted scrapyard engine. Period.

Add to this most of a workdays labour - and thats the top end.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As Anders says, 1.1TU engines can be picked up very cheaply.

But hold on. This engine has a history of lost and missing sparks. How has the Indie reached his diagnosis? Fuel will flood the engine if there is no spark and it will dilute the oil and so on. He (the Indie) cannot condemm the engine until all the following checks have been made.

1. Is there a spark? If so, is it in time?
2. Is the mixture too rich and thus flooding the engine?
3. Is the cam in proper time?
4. Compression check on all 4 cylinders.
5. Check condition of Coolant Temperature and TDC sensors.

If the Coolant Temperature Sensor is duff (not uncommon as it's a bit fragile) it will cause the ECU to believe the engine is at about -50 degrees C and make the mixture very rich. If the TDC sensor is unhappy, it'll put the timing out and/or cause no or an intermittent spark. Going on the past history, the TDC sensor has to be a prime suspect.

I'll very much doubt the engine is duff at all. The TU engine I swapped the other week was wrecked because of a long-standing weak mixture due to an air leak which holed the pistons; this is very unusual. Generally the TU is a tough little number and as said before, it's a doddle to work on.

I'd get the car out of the Indie ASAP and get cracking on it. You have the skills to do a better job.

A 206 cannot be scrapped just because of this...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy1 wrote:Spoke too soon :( . misfire has returned moreorless immediately. Any ideas as first line of attack?
TDC Sensor would be my first look..

There is a Pug version of service.citroen.com. Look at the sticky at the top of this forum.

I've not tried it but I believe it is very similar...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The TDC sensor is down on the edge of the bellhousing at the front of the engine. It fits on a plate attached by a couple of small bolts. It ooks a bit like it's sandwiched between the engine and the gearbox.

It might be worth having the sensor out, giving it a clean and checking its connector.

The coolant temperature sensor is in the middle of the LH (as you look at the engine under the bonnet) side of the cylinder head. I think it's the one with the blue connector.

That is a serious amount of money for a diagnostics session :shock:
Jim

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Honestly - there is nothing complicated or utterly special to such a Peugeot 1.1 engine.
Any indie with barely average IQ should do far, far better than you have learned 'til now :?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
DaiRees
My Cars:

Post by DaiRees »

superloopy1 wrote:Finally, is there an equivalent to PR-NET (as was) for PEUGEOT cars? Can i get a breakdown of all parts to VIN number anywhere so that i can obtain the correct replacement parts,
Hi,

I know CJ pointed you in the right direction but I wasn't sure if you'd found it.. Peugeot Servicebox is here http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ . It's excellent! You have to register but it's free :D . Then stick your VIN in and Robert will be your father's brother 8)
406 2.0 HPi Exec Estate

http://www.406oc.co.uk
saabsalltheway!
My Cars:

Post by saabsalltheway! »

hi a mate of mine has paid £300 for a 1.1 tu engine for a 206 a head off job would be about the same.
how can it be a problem with the engine it self cus it runs fine (sometimes) its got to be engine management ive had problems with indies b4 (see 406 hesitation) so get cracking on with the sensors
paul