Peugeot 206

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

newmezuk04

Peugeot 206

Post by newmezuk04 »

Afternoon all,

Ok, so my little sister is looking at buying her first car (as above) around the 1999/2000 year before the hdi's were put in, with a budget of £2k, but would prefer for her to spend around the £1200 to £1500 if needed.

Her insurance is cheaper on a diesel which would offset the cost difference with the diesel more expensive at the pump and hopefully more miles in a tank from steady driving.

It seems more sense for her to have a 1.9D as shes use to that from the ZX but whatcar says that the diesel is the one to avoid, does this mean that the car doesnt have the great XUD and that it has a lesser quality engine in it, or is it suggesting to avoid the D and get a HDI?

In September she will be doing about 40 miles a day so is she best off with the petrol (1.1, 1.4 or 1.6) or stick with the diesel (xud?).

Also what are the real things she should be looking at, she will be viewing cars during the week with mother as shes not at work and I am so in simple terms what car I write on a list for her to look at (and shes not that knowledgeable with cars either).

Of course I want her to have a car thats cheaper to buy, not a huge amount of miles (petrols available with 65k up to 95k and diesels at 100k), cheaper to run in terms of fuel (price/mpg) and one that will hopefully not go to wrong and be cheapest to maintain.

Regards
Chris
DaiRees
My Cars:

Post by DaiRees »

Hi there, we ran a 2001 1.1LX 206 for about 5 and a half years, and I can't think of anything particularly to tell you to look out for. It was economical, reliable, practical and fun.

The only time it let us down was when the BSI packed up, manifested itself in an array of electrical faults, wipers, indicators, central locking and immobiliser all decided to function intermittantly for a while. That was quite expensive to replace at nearly £400.
406 2.0 HPi Exec Estate

http://www.406oc.co.uk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I might be wrong but I think the 1.9D has the DW8 engine which is a small development of the XUD7, the development mainly involving the fitting of a Delphi (Lucas) electronic injection pump similar in concept to the EPIC on the 2.1TD. Nothing whatever wrong with them bar they don't like veg at all, in common with all Lucas pumped engines.

This engine saw extensive use in the small white vans of the period.

I expect they say to avoid it due to it being preceived as not being particularly lively and certainly "old school" diesel. Nothing wrong with that.

The smaller petrols fitted with the TU engine series are fine little cars. The TU is a great and economical little engine and in 8V form, almost stupidly simple and easy to work on.

Chris, why did you not get in touch with me to have your old MEZ account fixed? You now hold the record for having the most user accounts on this forum :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
newmezuk04

Post by newmezuk04 »

Sadly I never saved the last email from you so I had no way of finding out your email or logging in to access the PM side, I did try for about 5 whole minutes.

Is it just me? :oops:
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Re: Peugeot 206

Post by Ross_K »

newmezuk04 wrote:In September she will be doing about 40 miles a day so is she best off with the petrol (1.1, 1.4 or 1.6) or stick with the diesel (xud?).
Personally I don't see the point of running a diesel if she's doing just 40 miles a day...
ImageImage