"Water in fuel filter" warning light XUD9 306 Dies

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ed
My Cars:

"Water in fuel filter" warning light XUD9 306 Dies

Post by Ed »

I have never seen this light before and had to look it up in the handbook.

Anyway, found out what it was, and Haynes says to just turn the bleed screw and drain the water. So I did this and nothing comes out!:mad:

I took the fuel filter out and had a look round to find nothing obvious. Anyone had any run ins with this?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you cleaned out the filter bowl and put in a new filter, there can't be water there, so the light is playing up. Not every XUD has the 'water in fuel' warning light, so if the fault can't easily be traced, disconnect it.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Used to have that light flashing now and again on both my 205D's and Citrojim's 1.9TD also gets it.
Of course,when you do the draining no water is present, so it's fibbing to you.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I used to get that occasionally in my first 405, mainly after getting a grill full of road grit.
Generally I used to ignore it unless it stayed there for ages and the car didn't seem to be driving quite right.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The warning system is incredibly sensitive and therein lies the problem; it works by poking a couple of closely spaced prongs in the fuel filter housing and looking for conductive material. Clean diesel is non-conductive but water and some other debris is and it takes only a tiny bit to light the lamp, say a tiny, tiny bubble of water or a small sliver of metal as the prongs of the probe are very lose together. It cries wolf very frequently.

I have had it on numerous XUDs including 205s, 405s and as Xac says, my 1.9TD Xantia. That's an early one and not long after the warning system was deleted. The boss for the sensor remains but is nowadays just blind.

I'd say, don't worry over much as long as the filter is new or relatively new and the filter housing is clean. I think the underlying cause is a bit of water that has either built up in the tank over the years or a sensor that is suffering poor insulation after all these years. the fact the PSA deleted it in about 1996 might show it was imperfect anyway. If it bothers you, pull the electrical connector on the side of the filter housing!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
greg123
My Cars:

Re: "Water in fuel filter" warning light XUD9 306

Post by greg123 »

You need to undo the drain and press the primer bulb. If that doesn't clear it if you have drained an egg cup full, it's a common faulty sensor. Disconnect, or replace, as you see fit depending on the cars condition.

Greg.
Ed wrote:I have never seen this light before and had to look it up in the handbook.

Anyway, found out what it was, and Haynes says to just turn the bleed screw and drain the water. So I did this and nothing comes out!:mad:

I took the fuel filter out and had a look round to find nothing obvious. Anyone had any run ins with this?
Tdi VAG mechanic & vegoil converter