406, 2000, HDI, intermittent speedo

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

richard thom

406, 2000, HDI, intermittent speedo

Post by richard thom »

Hi

I have an intermittent problem with my speedo. It just stops working for anywhere between 2 seconds and 5 mins. It has been doing it more and more over the last 2 years, but now happens about once every journey. It also puts the engine into a reduced power mode, which is a real problem when I have a lot of stuff in or on the car!

I have seen a few posts about this issue, but I haven’t seen any / many posts saying people have had this issue resolved?

Do people have any success stories, or have people accepted it as a French quirk?
If they have had success, what was the solution?

By the way, my car has 160,000miles on it. And the cruise controll works evenless regularly than the speedo!
Rich
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Hi Richard,

Well i have a 406 turbo exec. it had the faulty intermittent speedo problem, but mine was a faulty Bitron unit located behind the glove box, but from what i know, the HDI doesn't have this unit, as the only 2 cars in the 406 range that do, are the 2.0l turbo petrol (my engine) and the 406 coupe.

You could look for it, but i doubt you will find one, the box is a small black box (about the size of a cigarette packet), with a beige top where the wires clip into the top. sits just in front of the airblower for cabin, accessible via the lining in the passenger foot well.

The second possibility, is the speed sensor on the gear box, these can strip teeth or the wires can get damaged as its located on the underneath of the gear box (will have to jack the car up, and put on Axel stands) its located near the drive shaft where the drivers side wheel drive shaft enters the gear box.

This can be changed but you have to top the gear box back up with oil after as it drains it. once removed

The 3rd possibility is a dry joint on back of the dash display, easy enough to do, just undo the 3 screws holding the dash shroud in place, remove the shroud along with the air vents, the display for your speedo, fuel gauge and what not, is fixed in with 5 torx screws, unscrew these and using a screw driver, carefully remove the instruments. unplug them and check for dry joints.

These are the 3 main common problem areas for the speedo malfunction.

**Edit** im off to the hospital at the moment as my step dad, is very ill, once i get back ill grab some piccys of the parts that need to be checked so you know what im on about.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)