405 Headlining Removal

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

405 Headlining Removal

Post by evilally »

Hello,

I've got a '96 405 with the infamous leaky sunroof. I've done my best to clear the drain pipes, I've used a length of plastic washing line, i've tried blasting them with some gas from a propane canister, and rinsing through with hot soapy water. As far as I can see, there is no obstruction on the pipes themselves but I still get water coming down into the boot. I can also see damp patches in the headlining above the pillars at the back.

So I was going to look into removing the headlining to see if there was some problem where the pipes attach to the tray. The Haynes manual says it's too tedious a process to undertake yourself and to refer to a dealer. Not very helpful! Can someone perhaps advise if it is indeed not worth taking on? I'm tempted to seal the sunroof with a tube of mastic and be done with it. Note to self, when buying old french cars, get one without a sunroof.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Dropping the headlining should be relatively easy, simply remove all the pillar trims and grab handles at a guess. Getting it out of a saloon car in one piece is a major challenge.

Life would be easier if you could remove it altogether but dropping it should be enough for your purposes.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Thanks, I had a chance to look at this tonight. It seems the sunroof is not the problem :oops: I sealed it temporarily with some duck tape and I still get a drip in the boot and a damp patch on the headlining. My next suspect is the aerial, I'll take a closer look on Friday.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

An update in case anyone is refering to this in the future....

I checked the aerial today and it wasn't that. Then I noticed that the paintwork along the groove/seam between the top of the back door and the corner of the rear window was cracked on both sides of the car. The damp patches appearing on the headlining are directly underneath these. I dropped the headlining and this seam does indeed appear to be letting in water. I've sealed one side up with mastic, I'll test it with a hose once it's set. I don't know if this is a common problem or not? I've not noticed anyone mentioning it before.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well found :D
evilally wrote:I don't know if this is a common problem or not? I've not noticed anyone mentioning it before.
I had a leaky seam in the boot lid channel on the last 405 I owned which caused a damp boot. Exactly the same problem. Cracked mastic.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Oh really? So is the seam just sealed with mastic normally? I was worried it was a weld and they were corroded underneath or something. Filled 'em in with some new mastic and problem solved. Honestly, this car had so many leaks, I've taken half the interior trim out chasing them. I've had to replace both rear light clusters, fit new boot lock seals, unblock the sunroof drains and now fix leaking seams! I think I've got them all now though 8)

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.