Stripped hub on 306

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

Stripped hub on 306

Post by Dave1 »

Hi,

Could do with some suggestions here as in a bit of a fix. I was replacing the dics on Dad's 306 today, completed first side fine. However, on the near side when tightening the lower bolt fixing the yoke to the hub, it simply carried on twisting. It seems the threads have stripped on the hub. On checking the bolt there was some form of coil on it which simply wound off. I do not believe this will have been removed before so must be standard. Is there any way to sort this out. I have thought about tapping it out, also maybe putting a nut on the other side if I can find a nut and bolt to fit(very close to the disc though unless some of hub ground off a little). I doubt I am the first person to experience this so any suggestions rather than a complete strip down and replacement hub?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If there was a coil on it, it sounds like some herbert has been there before and stripped the thread, and then had it helicoiled - not very well. I think your only option is to remove the replace the hub - you might be able to take it to the engineering shop and get the hole re-coiled, but getting a SH unit is probably just as easy.
Richard W
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

RichardW wrote:If there was a coil on it, it sounds like some herbert has been there before and stripped the thread, and then had it helicoiled - not very well. I think your only option is to remove the replace the hub - you might be able to take it to the engineering shop and get the hole re-coiled, but getting a SH unit is probably just as easy.
Thanks Richard,

I have ordered a hub and 35mm socket for the lovely hub nut :evil: I have been doing a bit of a google and found a page which suggests a lot of auotmotive manufacturers now fit a type of coil as a way of strenghtening things. I do not believe anything had been changed before on the car, was pretty new to start with and still had the original bits fitted etc. Maybe in the case of this hub, it was not seated to well. So it now looks like the weekend is sorted :roll: